GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. here is a question that has been asked before.. but I have seen lots of answers.. R33 GTR standard turbo's are good for what boost?? 1.1bar max?? i'm running 0.9bar at the mo and would like to try and squeeze a bit more power if possible but not at the expense of new tubro inners.. or blowing the stock ones!

What are the standard turbo's?? garrets T28's or have I read something wrong??

Also when people say the internals need upgrading to steel.. what parts are upgraded? I thought all turbo's had steel internals? is this a DIY job?? I have rebuilt turbo's on a old RS turbo a while back.. but thought generally they need to be balanced?

If 1.1 bar is acheiveable on standard turbo's will I need to uprate my injectors and ECU to cope?

Cheers

Lee

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
hi lee, 1 bar max mate sorry if they were 34 std turbos you may get away with 1.1 bar.. the shaft is steel on std turbos, but the impeller is ceramic bonded to it. if you run over 1 bar constantly the impeller will disintergrate. when people refer to steel impellers this is what they mean, ceramic replaced with steel. the reason nissan uses ceramic is this is alot less lag on them than steels..bernie. my car originally had exhaust, decat, apexi power fc ecu, adj cam pulley on the inlet side and ran 1 bar on std 33gtr turbo,s 406 bhp @ the fly rod bell mapped. ran like that for 2 years no problems with several trackdays..thats about your very max.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers..
Is it worth getting adjustable cam pullies then?? missed some on ebay the other day! So standard impellers probably cost more than steel ones?! I guess the weight reduction speeds up the turbo acceleration?

What are the standard turbo's? I am still not sure if they are garrets?

Lee

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
If the car has more than 60k miles on the clock then the turbos are probably due a rebuild anyhow and that would be a good time to go for steel internals.

The ceramics (silicon nitride normally) themselves don't normally shatter first but the bond (normally brazing) breaks instead causing them in turn to break away (the bond is the weak point on most ceramics turbos). If the bond holds then the blades will eventually shatter as small stress factures begin to happen under too much tensile stress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts