GTR Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what they are made off?
ie are they made off a decent steel or are they made off a sintered type material!
and has anyone had a failier?
im asking because on my last engine i used stock retainers with 10.8mm cams
which worked abosulty fine but always thought maybe a better material could be used!
so back to my original question are stock retainers fine or are they crap?
p.s i know all about titainium retainers but this build has a bit of a budget!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Does anyone know what they are made off?
ie are they made off a decent steel or are they made off a sintered type material!
and has anyone had a failier?
im asking because on my last engine i used stock retainers with 10.8mm cams
which worked abosulty fine but always thought maybe a better material could be used!
so back to my original question are stock retainers fine or are they crap?
p.s i know all about titanium retainers but this build has a bit of a budget!
They are steel, and I have never seen on that's failed. People love Ti stuff, but sadly they don't realise it has some serious downsides, like most grades work harden and can fail spontaneously. Ti retainers should be lifed, as should many Ti rods. It also galls against normal steels, so there can be interference between stock collets and Ti retainers, or Ti rods and crank cheeks unless they are coated. Below is a pic of a Ti rod from my Mugen V8 race engine. The dark patterning is a coating to stop galling on the edges of the big end where they bear on the crank and one another (flat plane crank, two rods per journal) Ti stuff can be a bit of a nightmare to be frank, unless you NEED to use it (and you don't in your application), I would avoid it. If the budget allows buy new steel OE retainers and collets. With 10.8 mm lift cams you will be on after market springs, so they are presumably fresh? At that lift they should be lifed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts