GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

this is taken from my engine rebuild guide on skylineowners.com

at this point its a good idea to recon the starter motor.......they seem to be quite a common fault on the RB's and TBH i have never come across a starter that didnt need anything else other than a good clean out to get it working spot on for the next 10-20 thousand miles

it is possible to do all of the work from below the car, even the top starter bolt is possible with a short spanner (they are 13ml BTW), its also possible to remove the starter from below too, remove a few bolts to the left of the pic and pull it through...

as mentioned the starters became intermittant and when they play up you would just hear a click but no cranking...this was always likely to be down to crap stuck in there so im just giving it a general cleanup and fingers crossed it will work fine after

remove the two 8ml bolts

and then pull the bottom carefully off

removing the rotor is just a gentle pull

again same with the case

spot the ball bearing....it sits on top of the shaft (bearing inside spanner C)

The solonoid screws do not want to come out, if one (or both!) round off you can remove the heads and remove the studs with pliers or whatever and replace

with the solonoid off the top part will now come apart

i used WD40 to clean the moving parts and isopropyl alcohol on the electrical parts

fully stripped

top parts cleaned and ready for refit

the bottom part is real easy, use electrical screwdrivers or welding wire etc to hold the springs back behind the carbon brushes on the bottom part of the unit and push the rotor carefully in before removing the screwdrivers

then fit the rotor into the housing

the top part is easy too, just remember to put that bearing back on the top of the shaft before they go back together

so back in one piece now then!

to test the starter just rig it up to a batterey...a charger wont really have the juice for this

the solonoid should shoot the cog forward and the main live on starter should spin the cog

·
Official GTR.co.uk Photographer
2,671 Posts
Its probably more useful to others than you think but many probably didnt bother to reply in thanks T.F.S .

Its like fourtoes ( bob ) thread with removing the rb26 engine certainly made my life a little easier to pull mine out and alot quicker so made it clear that i was grateful for his thread .

·
Registered
53 Posts
My OEM starter motor was getting weak (takes two tries to start the car), so I replaced it with an RH9. Glad I saved the old starter to see if I can clean it out like you did. Thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts
An excellent write up and I congratulate anyone who takes time to photograph dis-asembled components. I'm always in too much of a rush.
I'll note one omission.
The solenoid wasn't stripped down or replaced.
Under the black solenoid top (with the two studs) are the contacts which switch the high amperage load when starting.
If the starter begins to clack in/out or if you've been constantly starting with low battery voltage, those contacts arc and quickly become burnt.
Its vital to either replace the solenoid or to unsolder the black terminal end and resurface the contacts.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great write up mate! Seen it on skylineowners as well.
I removed the starter three days ago and with out this thread, and the following, I would have been lost, thanx!!
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/85764-top-starter-motor-bolt.html
It was this line that helped A LOT:
"Next I unbolted the hicas (or brake?) line brackets that hold the lines below the starter and moved them out of the way gently."
With out moving the cables I would have failed miserably!

One thing that was obvious today when I started to disassemble the starter was that I have another starter motor than you! I have a different "hook-arm". The one you have looks like it is made of plastic, mine is metal and thinner. I also cannot find any ball bearing, though i'm not sure mine should have one, on the other hand I might have droped it :/
Anyone know if there is a model without the ball bearing?

Also wonder if you, or anyone else, didn't grease the gears after cleaning it!? As far as I get, the gears should be greased.

It says 23300 20P05 / s114-780 / 649 Hitachi on mine. Anyone have the same?

/Stefan

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes a couple of people came back to me saying there was no ball bearing so you are not alone, I didn't grease the gears IIRC.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't think it needed it TBH, didn't have any problems with the starter over the 2 years or so I had the car for after the rebuild.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It says 23300 20P05 / s114-780 / 649 Hitachi on mine. Anyone have the same?

/Stefan
My spare starter motor is this, I didn't fit it as the one I had on before was different. Although denied I think my dad has chucked the old one now so I don't know what the part number of the previous starter was.

Were there two different starter motor types when the r32 gtr was built? And would it work if I fitted a the other one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.