GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my GTR today! lot's to do to tit to get it up to my high standard of vehicle but once it's done it will be the muts nuts!
I aready new the battery was possibly dead as the owner had to jump start it.. but when I got home and switched off it would start again and I tried jumping it from a start pack and no go.. all the lights are coming on fine which majkes me think the battery is ok?!.. and when you turn the key the starter motor clicks but doesn't turn and all the dials start flicking and the lights dimp down.. Is this the starter motor buggered and not the battery at all?? Are they prone to this and are they easy to change?? where abouts are they.. exhaust side or intake side? The car has been sat for a while.. What abotu bad earth contact somewhere?? If you put the start pack on it trys to turn over but only slowly.. when it ran it was fine.. not rattlles, knocks, smoke, anything, sweet as a nut..

Please help!

·
Registered
854 Posts
starter motor clicking is a sign of an almost flat battery. it takes far more output to crank the motor than light up a bulb. leave the battery to charge properly overnight and try again id say. if it still clicks have the battery tested at a garage or buy another one.

kev

·
Registered
442 Posts
Mine was a bit iffy starting and actually let me down a couple of times. Put a new battery on it and it's fine now. £40 from a local motorfactors.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers fellas.. Can you get those small batteries anywhere then??

I tried jumping it and it wouldn't have it.. and I had driven it all the way home from newbury.. 70miles.. I think the car has been sat for about 6 months!! I also put a fast start battery charger on it and it drew so much current it blew all the fuses in the charger! Never known a battery go flat like that before.. so I was worried it was the starter.. but I will try a new battery first.
Merry Christmas all!

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Yeh should be able to get it from Halfords, etc. Its the old Micra battery.

Or alternatively you could use an Optima Red top.

TBH if its been sat for 6months, it will most likely be shag9ed and will not hold charge. Even if it does, it won't be as strong as a new battery, i.e. it will drain much quicker.

·
Registered
157 Posts
make sure the connections of the jump leads are on properly, i found when jumping it its quite fussy, esp on the positve i fnot then you get that clicking, if you get the lead round both nuts it should start fine mate :)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Matt!!

I tried that too.. both bolts on the positive side.. didn't want to know? gonna get a new battery and check all the earth connections.. failing that it's got to be dicky strter motor... Hoping the boost problem isn't anything too major too..

·
Registered
157 Posts
have you got some decent think jump leads mate, i have some thick ones they make all the difference, should be ok its always started first time

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My jump leads aren;t particulary thick admittedly.. but I have tried two sets.. plus I put a monster BMW battery in it today and it wasn't having it.. So there is either something wrong in the elctrics or most likely.. and preferably (although not ideal!!) the starter motor is [email protected]@ked! I did think when you were jumping it from your brothers car that is was turning over mighty slow! If anyone else has any bright ideas please let me know..
Cheers

Also Matt.. was the the ECU upgrade you recommended to me?
Tar.

How you finding the M3??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts