GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am begining to purchase parts to use with a OS Giken 3.0l Build I am planning. I have not purchased the engine kit yet so I dont know any of the specific requirements that may be listed in the engine manual that comes with the kit . So if you are in the know, can you please tell me if my purchase decisions will work with the OS Giken kit. I am planning on running this car for local events of time attack and club days. not so much for drag racing

So far a local shop is haveing a clear-out sale on tomei parts so i am thinking of purchasing the oversized Tomei oil pump, and a set of ProCams.

do anyone have any idea what the extra 400cc of swept volume may require when it comes to cams. i was thinking 280 with 10.8 of lift. would a 11.5 lift be to much

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just been doing some reading, am i right to think that if i want the widest possable power band from a mid sized set of trust turbos that i would choose a cam with less duration. I am going to want to run my trust t618z's because i want some big mid range. When they blow i will try something bigger.

·
Vendor
12,681 Posts
I run 260 tomei on my set up, they give a a very wide power band:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I use Tomei 280° x 10.8mm lift Inlet and Exhaust on my car, it has loads of grunt all through the rev range with HKS 3037S turbos fitted using .73 turbine housing.

You need to get the head gas flowed by someone that knows how to do it.

Other than that it's a good plenum, an ECU and ignition system that is suitable for high power and you are about done.

11.5 mm lift might be OK in a drag engine, not sure how reliable it will be in a road engine.

Your cam choice should reflect the power you expect from your turbos. I am not familiar with your turbos.

I have a spare HKS 2835 kit good for 750 to 800 BHP if that is of any interest.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking for a clutch to install now on my r32 rb26 but i also want to reuse the clutch for my OS Giken rb30 when it is ready for install. so my question is, I have heard of people using the OS Giken r3c clutch on standard 7 bolt crank. is their two diffrent versions of this clutch or will it work on bothe the standard 7 bolt and the Os Giken 8 bolt crank

plus if anyone is interested OS Giken Japan website is advertizing 3.1 and 3.2l versions of their kit

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beer Baron said:
there is two versions of that clutch. one for standard type crank, one for OS Giken crank. :)
thank you, i bet just the flywheel is diffrent tho. so if i bought a 7 bolt version i could upgrade to the 8 when i install the os giken kit by just buying the 8 bolt flywheel

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
For Turbo's in the 700bhp range i would use cams of around 10.5/10.8 and 280º.

The R3C has the clutch basket (and obviously all the plates and cover) attatched to the flywheel with bolts, so yes you can buy 2 flywheels, and simply swap the basket from one to the other when changing cranks.

Remember that the head sits higher so you will need to chop and extend your boost pipes and also your down pipes.

As Hugh says to make an efficient 700 you will need a little head work.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
canadian said:
I am looking for a clutch to install now on my r32 rb26 but i also want to reuse the clutch for my OS Giken rb30 when it is ready for install. so my question is, I have heard of people using the OS Giken r3c clutch on standard 7 bolt crank. is their two diffrent versions of this clutch or will it work on bothe the standard 7 bolt and the Os Giken 8 bolt crank

plus if anyone is interested OS Giken Japan website is advertizing 3.1 and 3.2l versions of their kit
Canadian,

You need to post a link to the 3.2 litre option, I want one.

I tried to get Rod to bore out the engine before to give more cc's , but was told to behave myself.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
[
Hugh Keir said:

but was told to behave myself.

And you are about to get told it again!!! :mad: 3200cc must be an 88.5 or even 89mm piston !! Are you brave enough for 2.odd bar and cylinder liners getting on for 3mm thinner?? :sadwavey:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Cord said:
[

And you are about to get told it again!!! :mad: 3200cc must be an 88.5 or even 89mm piston !! Are you brave enough for 2.odd bar and cylinder liners getting on for 3mm thinner?? :sadwavey:
That's Hugh told Ha ha:p

Keith

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
According to my trusty old spread sheet Clicky, it will require a bore of 92mm by a stroke of 86mm to give 3206cc :clap:

That'll do nicely.

Cord,

The liners are much stronger that the cast bore of the standard block.

Have you seen the wall thickness of a standard block that has cracked? I am sure the tensile strength of the liners will be twice that of the standard cast material, so whatever a standard block fails at should be OK for an OS Giken block.

I think the OS Giken liners are 10mm wall thickness, there must be a little room for manoeuvre, possibly going up on the OD is an option too?

I know you like to live dangerously on that mad bit of Aluminium you fly about on, might be able to push the limits on the old girl a bit more!

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Hugh Keir said:
According to my trusty old spread sheet Clicky, it will require a bore of 92mm by a stroke of 86mm to give 3206cc :clap:
Your maths/spreadsheet is wrong. 92mm bore & 86mm stroke gives 3430cc!!!!

This OS RB31 kit uses an 88mm stroke. An 88mm bore (as opposed to 86.25mm) will give 3211cc.

You did 92mm stroke and 86mm bore.:thumbsup:

As for the liners - a small block can go to 7.0L without the liners but 7.5+L with. Something similar must be true here.:)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts