GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just driven my car home after picking it up and after about 150 miles or so there appeared to be very light steam coming from the gearbox gaitor.

I'm not sure if it was just because the gearbox oil got hot and water spray from the soaking wet motorway was causing it to evaporate up into the cabin or not.

There didn't seem to really be a smell to it that I could tell, and it was white like steam, not blue like oil.

I'm probably just being paranoid as its the first time I've driven a manual 34. I never had this issue in my auto GTT but then I also never drove it in pouring rain before.

If anyone can put my mind at rest I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
25,946 Posts
erm , there shouldnt be steam coming from the gaitor at all, not even in wet weather

get it up on the ramp, check the underside.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did wonder if it could be cleaning stuff that's been used to valet the inside on the gearbox gaitor, or even underseal that's gone on the exhaust. I'll get it up on a ramp to check. I'm 99% certain its not leaked any oil from the box anyway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do, should have also mentioned it only seems to do it at 70mph +, doesn't appear to do it at standstill, or at least it's not noticeable

·
Registered
590 Posts
This happened to me when I bought my first r33 gtr a very fine steam smoke like coming out the gear box leather where there was a hole had no issue with the gearbox though worked fine

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Could have a short shifter with no rubber gaitor, might just have the leather gaitor fitted.

Just take the interior trim off and have a look, shouldn't be an issue

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate it.

Think I've sorted the "steam" both the tops of the outer and inner gearbox gaiters had popped off, pushed them back where they should go and it seems to have sorted it. Chances are it was just surface spray hitting the exhaust / gearbox evaporating and going up through the hole in the cabin

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys, really appreciate it.

Think I've sorted the "steam" both the tops of the outer and inner gearbox gaiters had popped off, pushed them back where they should go and it seems to have sorted it. Chances are it was just surface spray hitting the exhaust / gearbox evaporating and going up through the hole in the cabin
Must have made a good sauna for you inside :chuckle:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts