GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

a bit of a long shot here, i doubt if anyone is going to be able to tell me if this is a steel turbo but i thought it worth a try...

i had all this apart and used a magnet on the exhaust blade and when i found it was not magnetic i wrongly presumed it couldnt be steel...

here is the only pic i have of the turbo, someone may be able to zoom in and tell me if this is deffo a ceramic/steel version

this is a pic posted by a GTR user a while back, it shows a steel impellor

any ideas guys?, is it possible to tell if it is a steel version in pic 1?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well pic two is from a known steel turbo, its pic one im unsure of.....

as i said a long shot i know..

maybe ill sick my webcam up the downpipe to get a good look at the compressor, got to fit a decat soon so...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh hold up just found a pic of the impeller..

shit, thats ceramic?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks mate

if anyone else has any input please fire away!

stupid comments welcome!:bowdown1:

·
Administrator
31,602 Posts
your looking at the wrong end, this is the blade you ideally DON'T want to see.

THESE are the ceramic bits, exhaust side

mook

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
how much abuse can ceramics take? A single burst to 1.4bar will shatter them, or is it more like boost pressure that high just makes failure happen sooner rather than later? Doesn't EGT have a LOT to do with this - in other words, if EGTs are low, then you can push a ceramic, but when they get scorching hot, you'll break the blades?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought it might be turbine speed?

i wondered if you could get away with 1.2-1.3 bar if you shifted up at 6000rpm (where i shift up at)

or if it was possible to use overboost so it boosts to 1.4bar upto 4500rpm and then drops as rpm rises till you see 1bar at 6000rpm and 0.9bar above...

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
is there a particular boost controller that allows for such RPM-based control of boost? That's a brilliant way to go about things I think - max possible boost low down and then the safe 1bar up to redline...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
overboost is a feature of the last car i owned...the calibra turbo

22psi at lower rpms and 16-18psi held, makes overtaking quite painless i guess.........the cossies do this mod too, 32psi overboost on stock internals! (i believe they call it battleship or something?)

i dont know if there is a controller that can do this..

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yes i believe they can but there is an easier way of doing this with a normal electronic boost controlelr, a shift lamp and an MBC

im told the map points to a 1.4bar capability at under 5000rpm (note: this is an opinion)

and i alsop know someone who has been doing this for some time now....a bit of extra power down low is exactly what we want on a road car eh!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nope 1 bar is about it safely! It can push any more air on the inlet side after 1bar but turbo goes past its efficent area and become a big heat pump at around 1.2 bar with stock turbos.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its down to flow though?

at 4000rpm it will flow less at 1.2 bar than at 6000rpm with 1 bar?

this means we have not gone outside its capabilitys?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
well, now that I can fuel them properly, I've been pulling 1.3bar all day, setting the self-learning for my PFC boost controller. They don't let up at all to 8K rpm, which means either my turbo insides are sonething I didn't know about, or I will very soon have a collection of ceramic shards in my muffler :p

·
Registered
610 Posts
well, now that I can fuel them properly, I've been pulling 1.3bar all day, setting the self-learning for my PFC boost controller. They don't let up at all to 8K rpm, which means either my turbo insides are sonething I didn't know about, or I will very soon have a collection of ceramic shards in my muffler :p
it's not the ceramic shards in your muffler you need to worry about if it all goes wrong just as your shutting off then it will apperntly enter your engine :eek: ..
i have spoke to a couple of people about it and some are lucky some aren't.
In my opinion if your running more than standard boost on ceramics then it's a time bomb and you can't see the timer, you will never know when they are going to explode..
Just remember that it is just a matter of WHEN not IF.
Mine exploded as i was on my way back from last months bubble meet after talking to a guy there (sorry i'm crap with names) who told me to remove them a.s.a.p i thought they would have lasted more than the journey home.:mad: this was running .9 bar and the turbos have covered less than 40k.
His was unlucky and he suspected no2 and 3 pistons was damaged, but i have been lucky and not damaged anything other than the o2 sensor as the ceramic wheel tried to exit through the exhaust flat out in 4th. luckily my foot was down and it blew everything backwards or i would be in the same boat.Found the wheel almost complete in the back box when i started stripping it down.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts