GTR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your preferred steering wheel locks?

I'm away for the weekend, leaving my R35 behind unfortunately as I have 4 passengers + me, plus a bit of luggage - so the 4x4 is going to get some use. I have a disklock steering lock on the GTR (size small), plus aftermarket immobiliser and a gps tracker - and the cars locked in an internet connected alarmed garage. I have never had a disklok, my first time using it and I hate it. Its, big, heavy and cumbersome. I took the car to the sports centre yesterday and I spent a good 2/3 minutes faffing with it both when parking up[ and leaving. I think I will return it for a refund after the weekend.

What have you guys tried and tested? What do you like using as a detterent and physical security inside the car?

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Interesting, I use a Stoplok Pro and that has served me well. You do need to have the steering wheel in straight ahead position to get it on easy without it getting near/touching the dash but it's a 5 sec job to put on and take off. It doesn't leave marks on the wheel. I've got the case in the boot, velcro to boot carpet.

I was thinking about the disklok for a change (had Stoplok Pro for 3.5 years) but sounds like it's more of a faff to get on/off. Hmm.

I'm also interested in what other "mechanical" devices owners have tried/use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at somethign like this: UKB4C Car Steering Lock Universal Fit Maximum Security Steering Wheel Lock for Cars and Vans, Anti-Theft T-Bar Steering Wheel Immobiliser to Deter Thieves and Secure Your Vehicle : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Which looks a lot more compact, smaller, lighter and easier to drop into the passenger foot area - but not sure that would really be much of a deterrent, compared to a disklok - which seems to be the hardest of them all to cut away with an electric saw for a determined robber (source: youtube).

Has anyone tried anything like this?

·
R35 Section manager
11,363 Posts
I was looking at somethign like this: UKB4C Car Steering Lock Universal Fit Maximum Security Steering Wheel Lock for Cars and Vans, Anti-Theft T-Bar Steering Wheel Immobiliser to Deter Thieves and Secure Your Vehicle : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

View attachment 273274

Which looks a lot more compact, smaller, lighter and easier to drop into the passenger foot area - but not sure that would really be much of a deterrent, compared to a disklok - which seems to be the hardest of them all to cut away with an electric saw for a determined robber (source: youtube).

Has anyone tried anything like this?

Just be aware if its used regularly fitting it on and off it will cause wear to the steering wheel. Put a cloth between it if you can to protect it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Disc lock is fine & well built

takes about 10 seconds to fit it if that

agree that over time fitting you get better with it

Fitting on a disklok is easier than removing it, as its a keyless process. But it still takes on relatively longer than 10 seconds. Go get the thing from the boot, open it up, slide it around the sttering whel without scratching the lather, close it up, slide lever and depress button. Nice and easy.

Taking it off, involves faffing with a key, the keyhole visibility is not great to its sidewards positioning - its basically a poke and prode process until the key goes in and even if the key is not fully in, the keyhole part rotates and then the key no longer goes in fully (maybe I have a defective disklok?) - then take it off without causing damage to the steering wheel, get out the car, stick it in the boot.

I would love to streamline that down to a 10 second personal best, but as it stands its not very quick or convenient - but it protects what is an investment vehicle - so I will live with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well worth looking into a Ghost 2 security system if that's what you don't already have?
The car has a Ghost Immobiliser, a tracker and a steering wheel lock. I love the immobiliser, but it is invisible and to the casual criminal I felt like the visual deterrent would stop my windows getting smashed up.

·
Vendor
4,604 Posts
Sad country really. The wifes Thai friend was fighting 3 men last week as they nicked her scooter.

Left her with a 10mile commute that's a difficult route and no convinient schedlule,time wise.

I bet she feels like it was'nt worth coming here🙈

·
R35 Section manager
11,363 Posts
The car has a Ghost Immobiliser, a tracker and a steering wheel lock. I love the immobiliser, but it is invisible and to the casual criminal I felt like the visual deterrent would stop my windows getting smashed up.

Fair enough.
Hopefully worst case it would be just a broken window then.

Just be aware some steering locks will cause wear to the steering wheel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts