GTR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got the car the steering wheel had been replaced and it was way offset by at least 25 degrees, I tried to my best judgment fit it centered in the splines by making sure the wheels went straight and then mount the steering wheel. funny thing is, if I remember correctly I think the offset changed at times while driving which sound weird I know I´m pretty sure it did.

But now that I have the steering rack/subframe off, how do you go about making sure that the rack and wheel is both centered the way it should be?

My first thought would be to measure the front wheels directional degree and make sure to have them centered, attach the rack and then adjust the steering wheel accordingly, but maybe there is another, more correct way of doing this as I suspect that the hicas and turn-signal hub needs to be at center when attaching the rack as well?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I dont think the Hicas would make your steering wheel out, but it has to be centered inline with the wheel

does the car drive straight? If so then I think it's just a matter of taking the steering hub off the spline, correcting it then tightening it back up.

But you say you've done this and it's gone back to the 25 degree position.. then have you checked the spline and hub insert itself to make sure the teeth are not rounded or anything?

I'd be scared if my car did that lol.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry if I got you confused, I don't have the rack fitted yet, hence my question. the car ran completely fine, just the steering wheel was a bit offset when I first got it but never mind that, my question is simply how to go about fitting the steering rack pinion and making sure they are aligned correctly.

As my steering wheel might be one spline wrong, I don't like the idea of using the steering wheel as a reference when fitting the rack. I need to re-align the column itself to be able to use the rack as reference.

Do I simply turn the steering wheel to the far left lock position, count turns to the far right position, turn the wheel back half that amount, mark the steering wheel with a piece of tape and then verify it's the exact amount of turns from center to left-lock and center to right-lock.

Adjust the tape as necessary until the tape is at the 12-oclock position and it's the exact same number of turns (and fractions of a turn) to left-lock and to right-lock from center.

All this to make sure I have the rack at center of travel and then I will be able to tell if in fact the steering wheel needs to be adjusted or not.

might seem like a simple question for any mechanic but wanted t know the correct way of doing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts