GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at changing the steering wheel on a r33 gtr for a smaller one either 300mm or 350mm wheel. Whats the best boss and everything I need to do this. :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've got a 330 in my 32 and I think the size is perfect, 300 might feel a bit small?

Couldn't tell you which boss you'd need though mate, I know you need hicas compatible ones for the 32 so that's probably the case for yours too

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car has the hicas bar across the back to eliminate it. Reason im looking at 300 ia cause im quite a big bloke and the standard wheel is very close to my legs so a smaller wheel and a spacer is looking the way to go.

I think im right in thinking that as the hicas is disabled I could just get a standard boss?. Im not 100% sure though lol :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
How about a removable boss to get the wheel right out of the way? Makes people slightly less keen on nicking the car too if you tuck the steering wheel out of the way when you're parked up :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think you still need a HICAS compatible boss in order for the speed sensitive power steering to work properly. HKB make them - a couple of places sell them (driftworks etc.) but don't seem to list the R33 GTR, weirdly. EPR on the other hand do list the R33 GTR HKB Boss for Nissan --- EP Racing, model number ON-203.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Driftworks don't tend to list much for any GTR - probably down to the fact that our cars aren't permanent rwd!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Now that you mention it, that does make perfect sense, lol.

Although they list the 34 GTR I think. And suspension for the 33 GTR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the one from ep-racing is the one im going to get. Thanks for your replys guys :). Just got to find the b***s to tackle the airbag removal haha :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
did you get the on-203 boss kit? did it fit fine? I am trying to do the same with my 33, and driftworks do two boss kits for the 33... ON-203 and ON-204.... I am unsure which is the right one for a non vspec single airbag 33 gtr ...

cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I havent done the steering wheel yet. Ive got used to it being abit cramped up behind the wheel lol. I will be doing it at some point though so if you find a good kit drop it down on here and once I get round to it ill know what I'm looking for :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
definitely go for the 350mm size dude!

I bought an omp trecento from their site 300mm. Hate it. Too bloody small and turns are a pain, covers the dash dials and just doesn't feel right at all! I am going to sell it soon. Will be getting a 350mm Momo Monte Carlo wheel.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've got a 330 in my 32 and it feels great - I'd generally go small as it'll just accentuate the 'go-kartness' and the power steering is sufficient for it not to require any real effort still!

On the downside, some people think small wheels look silly. The trick is to drive fast enough that
1. They can't see it as you drive past, or
2. You're gong so fast that the passengers are too worried to care!

·
Registered
948 Posts
lol...well on a 32 it might be nice, but on a 33 a small steering wheel just feels a little silly and can be quite heavy on turns as there is less leverage.

320mm might be a little better, but I cannot imagine it being all that great as its a very small size difference.

·
Registered
385 Posts
definitely go for the 350mm size dude!

I bought an omp trecento from their site 300mm. Hate it. Too bloody small and turns are a pain, covers the dash dials and just doesn't feel right at all! I am going to sell it soon. Will be getting a 350mm Momo Monte Carlo wheel.
Thanks for the advice matey! Be good to hear from others as well. Hope all is going well with the interior mods ;) I managed to get hold of a new door card to should turn up any day now so no more torn door card :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Happy to help.

I have placed an order for a set of gear and handbrake gaiters from ebay without the red stitching. Also ordered chrome gauge rings for the center and main dash cluster. So it's coming along slowly. Really like my steering wheel design, but gutted they don't do 350mm sizes.

For next month:
-> carbon door B pillars thingies
-> carbon "skyline" door sill plate
-> replacement OEM window controls cover for driver's door
-> NISSAN SKYLINE R33 GTR FULL RADIATOR COOLING TOP PLATE CARBON FIBRE Z1574 | eBay

-> R33 GTR Carbon OEM Rear Bumper Exhaust Heatshield | Buy Carbon Fiber Car Body Parts

It never stops does it...lol

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice matey! Be good to hear from others as well. Hope all is going well with the interior mods ;) I managed to get hold of a new door card to should turn up any day now so no more torn door card :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts