GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone else has noticed that there steering wheel is slightly off centre when the car is going straight. Since my GTR was optimised my steering wheel is just off to the right. Not a major prob, just annoying. They said it can be hopefully sorted at next optimisation. Just had 6k service.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
DWC,

Mine is due in for 1200 mile optimisation tomorrow and my steering wheel is also slightly off-centre when tracking straight. This is with factory settings.

I suspect it is more to do with road camber and 20" rubber rather than any inherent problem with your tracking. My wife's Golf on 15" rubber and narrow tyres steers perfectly straight.

I believe the car leaves the factory with 'track' settings which can be changed to 'road' settings at optimisation if you wish. I've also read that there isn't much in it with perhaps slightly less understeer on the 'track' setting vs slightly less tyre wear on the 'road' setting.

Either way I'm likely to keep my settings as they are because from experience getting a dealer to fettle with your tracking can often make things worse.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marders

Thanks for your thoughts.

How did the Optimisation go. Did u adjust camber atall or just leave it as it was.

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
DWC,

Optimisation was fine. I left the alignment settings as they were. The GTR tech talked me through the different options but I decided to leave them.

Can always change settings at the 12 month optimisation if required.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mine had the same aswell .. as i got the jdm version.. but when i travel to europe the steering is straight on french motorway and also german motorway.. only in uk the steering slightly off to the right ... its because the motorway camber..

·
Registered
288 Posts
It's not the road camber - it's that the steering wheel was not set 100% straight when the tracking was done.

If you set the wheel 20 deg to the left and then did the alignment, the car would drive in a perfectly straight line, but the sheering wheel's natural position would be 20 deg to the left.

Of course, every now and then the car will steer towards the kerb on some roads, but naturally the ateering wheel should be dead straight when the wheels are. If it's not right then take it back for another alignment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts