GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback from anyone who has used HKS step 2 cams with 2860r-5 turbos. This is for a 2.7l non stroker built block with mildly ported/polished head. Machine work done to accept these cams (272 10.25) including HKS springs. Is this too much cam for these turbos. All other supporting mods done (ECU, exhaust, fueling etc).

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I would say judging by the 61 views and 1 reply, most people are thinking exactly what Im thinking.....
Try doing a search and reading some of the 150 odd threads that already more than cover off your question.
Im no keyboard jockey either ,2030 post's , you can see on my avatar
Thanks anyway .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fair enough...I did some reading and there are a few that seem to believe in bigger cams for bigger power however looks like the poncams are the most popular cam choice for these turbos.

In my particular situation however, I have a ready prepped head with the springs and mods done for the bigger HKS cams so there is no concern about cost or work needed to fit larger cams. ( I purchased this head from a fellow who abandoned his project) I already have a new set of step 2 HKS cams ready to go that came with the purchase. The car; a 1970 datsun 240z is not a daily driver and I have no concerns with passing any type of smog etc. It is a sunny day weekend street beast and sees the track a few times per season.
I guess the question is...do I go ahead and install the cams I have or sell them and get something smaller....what would you do??

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
well as the cams are easly changed i would go with what you have and if they are no good for your application they can be swapped out for something that suits the engine a bit better, however the whole cam/turbo thing really is a grey area and it's down to whoever is tuning the car as to what cam/turbo spec would be best, horses for courses and all that!
honestly just drop em in and try it if you already have em

Alex

·
Registered
213 Posts
Im no keyboard jockey either ,2030 post's , you can see on my avatar
Thanks anyway .
2030 post of what ? you telling people to use the SEARCH function, or some other snide remark ? You should have a look at your posting history and not just focus on the numders.

Is this a Forum ? or an FAQ Website with NO active posting from anyone ?

Perhaps you need to refamiliarize yourself with what an Internet Forum really is.....A PLACE FOR DISCUSSION.

Internet forum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry for the rant, but it just kills me when all people can add to a thread, regardless of how many times it's been discussed......is nothing but a SIGH ... or jump all over other members, telling them to use the search button.

Maybe NEXT TIME, post a link to 1 of these 150 discussions, rather than somthing completely useless that does nothing more than increase your post count, that you are quick to point out to other members, makes you a superstar.

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Bite me .....

The 166 views ...

Is this a Forum ? or an FAQ Website with NO active posting from anyone ?
Clearly you are some kind of Forum Nooby

Thanks for the well thought out reply it is most helpfull and informative.

Oh ps try reading what the forum is for and how it is meant to work before posting links to how "you" think this forum should work ....

Its sole purpose is to help people not to fill up unnecessary space by asking the exact same questions over and ever again ad nasium....

Given that this is a GTR / RB26 based site and given that -5's and cams are probably the most common upgrade known, you dont think there could possibly be a small amount of info on that subject already ?

Thanks , I am somewhat of a superstar, but better that than a supertwit ....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hey, whatever it take to increase your post count and let everyone know what past crappy vehicles you have owned......

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Another helpfull post , thanks...
no wait , were you not critisizing non helpfull posts, oh .....i get it, its ok for you because you are special.

Let me guess you have already owned a hayabusa powered sunny ?
Do you even know what one is ?

you own a 700hp GTR ?
do you even own a GTR full stop ?

Keep up the helpfull comments , they must really help guide the thread starter in the right direction .....
No wait didnt you critisize me for making non helpfull comments ...
WTF
BlaBlaBla I love the sound of my own vioce BlaBlaBlaBlaBla
Just imagine it to the John Cooper Clarke Song ...
Mind you , you probably dont know that either ....

·
Registered
213 Posts
BlaBlaBla I love the sound of my own vioce BlaBlaBlaBlaBla....
It's about time you came to terms with it.

No seriously though, I understand the whole 'has-been' thing. You just want people to know - and there is nothing wrong with that. Why not try a sig instead ? then you can tell everyone on the forum more useless info about yourself, that noone will probably care about either. Yah, do that.

I like you Glenn. You help the rest of us by setting the bar low.

Cheers !
Allan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well...its been a long time but the HKS step 2 272 10.25 cams cams worked really well. The car (1970 240z weighing in at just over 2400lbs) put down 540rwhp at 17psi on a Dynapack hub dyno at Almasi Tuning in Montreal, Canada. I then managed to put the car into a concrete wall within a short time. I am now building a 1972 widebody 240z with a cage. This concludes my follow up report! Love the forum!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts