GTR Forum banner

181 - 200 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
L6DJX,

The recent Tractive shock absorber offering matches to softer springs on the later cars.

For track work, I think it would be easier to get the package dialled in with something nearer the spring rates on the CBA cars.

The Tractive shocks can be softened off in the same way that standard Damptronic shocks can to give you a good mix of road an track performance.

I will speak to Michael Levitas DSC Sport owner and get some more specific details on the options and post it up here.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Wanted to let DSC Sport users know that there is new firmware version available for the V2 DSC Sport controller.

The firmware has been adjusted to improve launch performance, so if you drag race, or launch hard at any time, this update is for you.

The latest firmware can be downloaded here:- clicky

The programme to load the firmware into the DSC Sport controller can be downloaded here:- clicky

The process does not wipe the maps from the controller, but it is good practise to use the DSC Sport software DSC Tuner (not the firmware updater above) to save the existing maps, or email me to get a copy of your map to load back in.

Connect DSC Sport controller before running DSC Sport Firmware Updater Programme.
Start the DSC Sport Firmware Updater Programme.
Tick the “Firmware and EEprom” box.
Select the new Firmware file.
Press “Update.”
Once completed, exit the DSC Sport Firmware Updater Programme and disconnect your DSC Sport controller to reset the board.

It is also good practice to open the DSC Sport Tuner software to check the current firmware version and read your .pdts file to ensure the update installed properly.

For instructions on checking the firmware version using the DSC Tuner software, see page 15 of the Software User Manual where it shows how to use the V command
to confirm your current firmware version.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Hi Reano,

I keep the DSC Sport controllers in stock, so easy for you obtain.

You can email me directly on hugh @ ptsys.uk, or you can message me through the website www.ptsys.uk.

Website needs to be viewed on a PC, I have not yet adjusted it to work on mobiles.

I have comprehensive installation instructions full of pictures and takes most people about 30 minutes to install.

The suspension controller is located behind the glovebox and is easy to get to.

Thanks

Hugh

·
Registered
94 Posts
Add another satisfied customer to the DSC user list.

Installed mine a few weeks ago with the OEM RF's and it was immediately apparent that the soft setting was what I wanted for the a lot of the driving around rural N.Yorks roads. Even in soft mode, the body control, at moderate speeds was good without the harshness of the OEM set-up.

Since then switched to MPSS and I still like it, although I think I'll be needing to switch to medium setting on these tyres. Needless to say I'm not Lewis Hamilton!

I'm sure I'll be asking Hugh for a tweak here and there and so far I've nothing but praise for his efforts and customer service.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Have been discussing the addition of DSC suspension maps for Drag events combined with runway / high speed events with some of the DSC customers.

I have prepared some new suspension maps that will give you full soft on launch, firming up with speed to give you fully stiff suspension control similar to the race maps as the speed increases.

Send me a note on here, or email me and I will email the latest version of the maps through to you.

Thanks

Hugh

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Was looking at the results from TOTB this year and thought it might be of interest to see who had the best 60 foot times.

I was using Yokohama 888's at full pressure, having just run on the handling circuit, yet was a good bit faster than some well prepped cars with more power and dedicated drag suspension.

It may not be all down to the DSC sport drag settings, but certainly a big part of it.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Times on saturday were actually faster with warmer temps, I managed to get 1.654 60ft using 25/27psi on my R888Rs.

Also the handling circuit dried out later in the afternoon on sunday, after I had used up my 5 attempts in the wet. :(

Should have held out for others to put down the rubber for extra grip :D (F1 rules hehe, next year :thumbsup:)

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Awesome times you laid down on your car Tin, just shows how versatile the GTR can be with some help from DSC tuning the suspension.

There were several cars with dedicated Drag suspension that were slower than the DSC Sport cars.

I would have loved to try a few more runs on the track, since my first lap was a bit leery, but the mad two hours on Sunday afternoon did not leave enough time to do everything.

Lovely to meet you too Tin, your car is ace.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Thanks Hugh, really good meeting you and going through the DSC more, certainly more to be done, will have a play once I get more time. (car is back now :))

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Thanks Tin,

Have pondered the feedback you gave me on the high speed drag maps, I am going to adjust them so that they exit the low G-Force part of the map a bit earlier so that you benefit from the additional suspension stiffness at higher speed.

They will have the same launch hook-up, just more stable at speed.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
There have been many discussions on the qualities of the DSC Sport system when linked to the standard GTR Damptronic suspension.

I thought it would be of interest to a number of you, to see the additional performance that the Tractive shockabsorbers can deliver when linked to the DSC Sport system.

Tractive suspension is famous in applications from Moto GP through to Formula 1.

The height adjustable Tractive suspension system (pic below) is a straight swap for the standard GTR suspension

The operating principle of the Tractive suspension is the same as the standard Damptronic shockabsorbers.

The differences are that the Tractive shocks are manufactured to a racing standard with reduced friction, stronger components and much faster acting response, delivering a more focussed performance.

The Tractive shochabsorber range is around 40% less damping to 40% more damping compared to standard.

Here is a demo of the difference the Tractive suspension controlled by DSC Sport makes under acceleration.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Keeping the theme of information on the Tractive suspension vs standard Damptronic suspension.

Here is another video showing the weight saving and the braking distance reduction possible when using Tractive suspension.

Weight saving, much of it unsprung weight :-

Standard Damptronic front 7.1kg / 15.65lbs
Tractive Suspension front 4.35kg / 9.59lbs

Brake testing 50MPH > 0 MPH

Comfort setting
Standard Damptronic 19.5metres
Tractive Suspension 17metres

Normal setting
Standard Damptronic 16.5metres
Tractive Suspension 14metres

Race setting
Standard Damptronic 15metres
Tractive Suspension 11metres

These are game changing distances when going for a spirited drive, or track day.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Just got around to fit the DSC Sport controller today, I have been looking forward to installing it so I could test it before storing the car for the winter.

And I just got home after testing the various suspension settings, and I was really impressed. A much more refined feeling and much better rebound in each setting and the reduced body roll in Race is just perfect. Makes me wonder if I really should be eyeing new uprated ARBs at the moment.

Really looking forward to taking it to the track again in the Spring, this time with the DSC controller installed!

Fitting went OK, my big hands had some problems getting a good grip of the OEM controller, but overall really simple and easy to do.

For reference, I am running a CBA stock suspension on Toyo R888R tires.

Thanks Hugh, really great communication and quick responses, appreciate it!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Just checked my fastest 10 launches 0-60ft at local drag strip and they were all obtained on dsc controller. Surface is awful as they cannot resurface due to it being owned by historic Scotland. Best time 1.665 on Toyo 888's at 18psi. Best time without dsc 1.8secs

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Just checked my fastest 10 launches 0-60ft at local drag strip and they were all obtained on dsc controller. Surface is awful as they cannot resurface due to it being owned by historic Scotland. Best time 1.665 on Toyo 888's at 18psi. Best time without dsc 1.8secs
Weight transfer is a critical component for a fast launch.

The DSC Sport suspension controller, launch control settings, allows you to set the the suspension parameters during launch, to get the most out of your existing suspension set-up.

The early year GT-R's have spring rates more suited to track rather than drag, but your times are really good for the poor surface at Crail.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
For those of you that enjoy Drag racing or a fast launch in your cars.

The following video demonstrates the DSC Sport suspension controller engaging launch control mode, this allows for much greater weight transfer than is possible with the standard suspension controller.

At the start of the video, you will see the suspension is set in comfort mode (green light)

As the car enters launch control, you will see the red light on the suspension control flashes red, indicating that the DSC Sport has switched into launch control mode.

Later in the video, you will see the suspension has been set into race mode and again set into launch control.

DSC Sport launch control mode is initiated by pushing on the brake pedal above a pre-programmed threshold value while the car is at standstill.

181 - 200 of 219 Posts