GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys/gals
I have these stickers under my bonnet - they look like someone has done engine work on the car in the past - sorry for the poor pics - they're kind of a reflective silvery material on the sticker. Can anyone tell me what they say?

on the second pic below theres some (barely legible) numbers written in the empty space. Dave (mava) reckons they could be cambelt related - I really hope not as that means the car will be clocked :(

any help greatly appreciated - panicking here :(
ant
newcastle
uk

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
first pic says Pitwork Long Life coolant and should have enscribed the dates when the coolant was changed.

The second is for a pitwork car battery...said it was changed 2 years ago (hesei 16 year) and that the battery is good for 2 to 3 years...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first pic says Pitwork Long Life coolant and should have enscribed the dates when the coolant was changed.

The second is for a pitwork car battery...said it was changed 2 years ago (hesei 16 year) and that the battery is good for 2 to 3 years...
wow thanks Dave. I have a further question. On further inspection of the 2nd sticker.. in the space to the left of the "km" text you can just make out the numbers 119,648 or something like that (The pen that it was wrote in is faded but the indentation the pen leaves is still legible when viewed from the side).

what would this 119something number be related to?

ps: what do you mean by "hesei 16year" ??

thanks again tho

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
the info to the left of the "KM" is when the battery was installed in the car.

119,648 would be the mileage (in KM) when the battery was put in. The 16 bit refers to the Japanese calendar - the number of years the current emporer has been on the throne. We're now in hesei 18, so hesei 16 was 2 years ago, around 2004 ish. Hope that makes sense!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gutted - that means my car has been clocked then as my current mileage is 91000km (give or take) :( that also means I have no idea when my cambelt was done either so I need to get that done asap.
I'm about to get a new one this wkend but its just annoying as the car camcover has a 100,000km badge on it and it means the car is well beyond that now.
gutted ...really gutted :( ..I've half a mind to phone the chap who sold it me.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
you sure it says 119*** as I can see any digits on the image I'm getting on screen, even the 16 is REALLY hard to make out...

I've just checked with the wife (who is Japanese) and she agreed, the figure in KM is when the battery was installed....

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I'm about to get a new one this wkend but its just annoying as the car camcover has a 100,000km badge on it and it means the car is well beyond that now.
most skylines will have a sticker in the engine bay that reminds owners that they need to change the camblet at 100,000KM. Doesn't actually mean the car has done that though...

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
on closer check it says 118,414 - theres no actual ink there on the sticker now, just a slight indentation where the pen nib was pressed down.

I bought the car and it had 72,628km (I think, exact number at home) on the clock so its quite a chunk back from the mileage on that sticker.

I know what your saying about the 100,000km sticker which is just a reminder but if theres another sticker in there with 118,414 on it then I can only guess now as to what mileage its done. On the brighter side, the car does drive fantastically, even RB motorsports said its a fantastic example and really clean good condition engine so gonna get the cambelt sorted asap (this coming weekend or before if I can bribe mava!!) then I'll feel a bit safer.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Well it might be wise to get the cambelt changed...any other stickers in the engine bay (or by the drivers side door on the dashboard) that might give a hint to the correct mileage?

what about the coolant sticker...I can't see any figures written on that?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no sticker on the side of the dashboard (in that area the door usually covers) and the only form I've got with it is my VOSA form which took a good couple of months to come through from the seller once I'd got the car.

starting to feel likes its a stolen car or something :(

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I wouldn't jump the gun!

afterall, if all the other documentation you have supports the clock mileage then it is possible the battery sticker is in error. I've just double checked with the better half and she definitely says that the figure in KM would be when the battery was installed....makes sense too.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cheers Dave, sorry man just a bit worried - dont want to have bought something that the police will collect off me in jan2007 or something!

when you say makes sense do you mean that it'd make sense that the battery sticker is in error?

how do they confirm that the car has done the miles it has? Does it not just take some seller to send in a paper form with the mileage he chooses on it and the chaps at VOSA just stamp one of their forms with that same mileage or are checks made with Japan & wotnot once the paperwork is submitted? (hope that makes sense!)

(tell your wife thanks very much for confirming the translation too)

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
when you say makes sense do you mean that it'd make sense that the battery sticker is in error?
I meant that the the sticker is unlikely to be saying that at XXXXX KM that the battery should be replaced. I guess it could be possible, but most warranties (for batteries at least) would be for a fixed duration after purchase date as opposed to a fixed distance...

not sure about the VOSA checks, maybe someone else might be able to shed some light on this.

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
You may find km stickers around the perimeter of the driver's door.

It's possible that the km reading was converted to miles prior to sale in the UK. It's also possible that the engine is from a different car. Sometimes the labels say when the next replacement/service is due based on the one before.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah I checked around the perimeter of the door mate but theres nothing there.

the conversion may explain it a little bit but it hacks me off that I no longer know the history of the car fully. for all I know it could be on 200,000km or something.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
The Japanese auction houses have the cars separated into various categories. It is not in their interest to deliberately hide anything and if they have any doubt about the mileage, there will be a little question mark on the paperwork. Many of the cars have this question mark, and only those dealers willing to take a risk and make a quick buck on a good-looking but doubtful car will bid on one. Most of the dealers shy away, but a lot of the non-Japanese (UK, OZ, NZ, India, Africa) will work with these cars, sometimes hand-in-hand with the Yakuza.

It looks to me like all the supporting figures have been deliberately rubbed off. Heisei 16 is only 2 years ago, so the figures should be clearer than that. And on the battery sticker it definitely has a blank labelled 'Mileage at time of battery replacement:' so you'd think that any reliable mechanic at Yellow Hat etc. would have conscientiously written it in.

My gut feeling is that they have simply reduced the mileage to under 80,000 km to be this side of one of the two watershed distances where cars drop in value at auction in Japan. (The other is 50,000). You may have a perfectly good car there, apart from that... :)

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks Thrust thats a good explanation but when you say "this side" of the the 2nd watershed distance/mileage do you mean they lowered it so they'd get more money for the sale (in japan)? It worked if so lol.

other than all the questionable mileage, the car is in amazing condition and aside from cambelt fun coming up I've replaced a heap of goodies and done lots of safety things to keep it in good condition (things like waxoyl underneath etc..) so I'm not worried - if the car needs money spending on it then thats what I'll do - it just upsets me a bit thats all but aside from that the car does shift and ticks along nicely

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.