GTR Forum banner

Stock 33 GTR Mods unwrapped

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  chaz_r33_gtr 
#1 ·
well here it is,,, something quite interesting and contraversial,,

stock 33 GTR boost in and around about 11.6 psi or 0.8 bar
with standard airbox and exhaust

now take of the airbox and exhaust and replace with aftermarket stuff and because more air is getting sucked and blown the stock internal wastegate is too small to bleed off enough exhaust flow to keep boost at the required pressure....
and because of this your boosting more than normal rising to about 1.1 or 1.2 bar - 16 - 17.4 psi....

so the 70 or 80 bhp you gained from the mods only maybe half half the brake is gained from the mods and the rest is the boost getting turned up or rather not bleeding fast enough,,,

dont know,,,,has onyone recognised this before?

#3 ·
Have you fitted a boost controller? The R33 GTR I'm going to see has an HKS exhaust and (I think) Apexi filters, it also has a Greddy Profec B boost controller though, so boost is stable at 0.9 bar (iirc).

From what I've read, I'd seriously check if you still have the boost restrictor fitted, and if not, get a boost controller for the sake of your turbos! The standard R33 GTR turbo internals are ceramic, and aren't meant to go above 1.1 bar I believe? It's possible for the fan blades to come off due to the excess heat build up, and could get sucked into the engine!

Just what I've read btw, and I'm sure someone with more knowledge will probably come along and correct me! ;)

#7 ·
Dont run your ceramics at that boost level unless you prepared to spend approx £6000-£8000 having your engine rebuilt.. it happened to me.. previous owner of the car had had turbos fail and bolted on some new ones before selling to me.. Obviously couldnt tell about the internal head and piston damage until i went for more power.... :((

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.