GTR Forum banner

What kind of air filter do you run?

• Stock airbox?

Votes: 69 17.4%
  • ARC Airbox?

Votes: 60 15.1%
  • Aftermarket Induction kits?

Votes: 259 65.2%
  • You are insane, run no AFM's a draw air direct to the turbo...?

Votes: 16 4.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have an HKS induction kit on the car now, but a blitz induction kit sitting on my floor waiting to be fitted. Eventually I plan on just removing the filters, and throwing sand directly into the pipes hehe

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ARC owners

How loud is the induction note? (if any) as opposed to Induction kits / stock airbox?

I remember the difference on the old VR6 engines... from quiet 6 pots to madman TVR note with a cheeky filter swap!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Hmmm a VR6 with a induction kit!!! Does sound really good, but gets quite annoying after a while if you know what i mean

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Personal preference is to run the standard airbox with a few mods. Smooth all the edges down... Then i would get something like an APexi, Mines or Nismo replacement element... I dont think you get as much noise from the elements but it depends what you want the car for. Look at the Mines 600bhp car and you will see it runs a stock box with their element.

Regards

Gez

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I appreciate the noise / filtration aspects.. and the fact that the induction note can get a bit annoying. Just nice to have a bit of a growl sometimes.. for those more spirited moments :rolleyes:

Is it as loud on a GTR ? Is there a massive difference between stock and filters say?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Not getting old, just annoying every time you give it a bit of welly!!!

But yeh even on the GTR, does make quite a difference from stock airbox to induction kit. More noise from DV's aswell on lift-off.

But I myself like Gez, have put in a stock airbox even though my car came with M's induction kit. Stock airbox with Nismo panel filter. In my opinion improves low-down perfromance.

·
Banned
66 Posts
empi said:
switch to Fcon Pro V good bye AFM's hello buckets of fresh air
Yeah i'm going along with empi all the way :mad: !! Just booked my R32 GTR in with Gary at GT ART for the full HKS Fcon Pro V treatment plus a load of other stuff!!! Counting the day's man! Counting the day's!
Pete.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Im running HKS induction on my GTR32 but have kept the original box in case I decide to go back,id be interested to hear any info about the suicide option as there was a car in one of the Banzai mags recently that had no filters

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure which DVD but one of the 'High Octane' vids from NZ had a mad scooby powered truck (think it was a truck) a yute?! With a bloody huge turbo sticking out the bonnet!! No filter and general insect collector! Not sure how long it would last?! :eek:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Rouge-mate
You are already running your car with no filtration :D
Best put the std box back on with a decent panel filter !
Good enough for 600bhp, ask Mines ;)
I run an Arc airbox
Cokey :D

·
Banned
907 Posts
I was convinced that a well modified std airbox was the way to go (gts-t)
However last year I did a lot of 'fiddling' and found that after 6k rpm a K&N fitted to the AFM (I ground the flange of the end) bike style was deffinatly better.
I used a SAFC for fueling adjustments and got more power with the K&N and with less fuelwith smother delivery, it felt happy!
Also because I had a GTR FMIC I cut out the inner wing where the SMIC pipes went through and fashioned a 'scoop' fron mild steel that I pop-riveted into place to get air from the front spoiler.
That rocked at high speed, and I will be doing the same to this GTS-T this weekend, much better than those drag-strip light replacements.....IMHO.

·
Registered
832 Posts
You can remove the inner wheel well cover and gain access to the intake piping. I cut the pipe behind the front bumper and rotated it around so the intake was facing forward. Not sure how much water would get in during a hard rain at high speed, but definitely increases cooler air flow for those who use pod type filters.....

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
RB_26 said:
What is the going rate for a 2nd hand Arc airbox?
depends where you go. I got mine for £150, but I've seen them loitering around egay for £80 recently. I prefer the ARC on a long run as it really mutes the exhaust note and creates no induction roar. On short bursts, the HKS induction kit I also have is unbeatable for sound effects, and only an hour at a time to swap them about.

pro's and con's for each:)

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Had HKS induction kit when I bought the car but replaced this with ARC Airbox.
I only want the car running at around 1.3bar when finished so this suits my needs :)
I find the airbox very vocal when you put your foot down too.
Have a kakimoto exhaust which never sounds muted LoL

1 - 20 of 77 Posts