GTR Forum banner

What kind of air filter do you run?

• Stock airbox?

Votes: 69 17.4%
  • ARC Airbox?

Votes: 60 15.1%
  • Aftermarket Induction kits?

Votes: 259 65.2%
  • You are insane, run no AFM's a draw air direct to the turbo...?

Votes: 16 4.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
seen this on ebay - is this the kind of thing I'd need in conjunction with the hks induction I'd like to get under mine. Its for a 300zx but I were told that it fits skylines...
(item no. in ebay 8056828877)
sorry for my muppetry but how does the nissan afm Z32 help exactly hehehe - can you not just fit the hks induction in place of the std airbox?

ta
ant
whitley

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Arc box 2 new filters sourced from motor factor- blue point.
IIrc £11.30 for the small one, £21 for tother both in Red !
Should look out the part nos I suppose.
cokey

·
Registered
450 Posts
Cokey
Would really appreciate the part numbers and a phone number if you can help.
Ive been quoted £147 +postage for a pair of paper filters bluddy ridiculous even concidering the Skyline tax factor. Cheers Bryan

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Afaik the latest arc filters are in foam + red.:smokin:
And were nowhere near that price.:eek:
I took the old ones in and the guy matched them from size in his book.
I had to trim a few mm off the outer rubber but cheap as chips.
I will try and look out the part nos though and send you a Pm.
cheers Cokey

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Just a coutionary note on panel filters like the K&N oily things - I have my oil analysed at the lab before every change. I ran a K&N filter on my Legnum VR4, and found the engine oil contaminated with silicates at every change. May not be the same case with all K&N's or similar filters, but my impression is that filtration was being sacrificed for flow.

The R33 I've just bought has Trust Airinx filters, and I'm a bit concerned that they may suffer from the same problem. I'll be changing the oil to Amsoil shortly, and then sending off a sample after a decent bit of running. Will report back on the results.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
This is why the Nismo panel filter is a dry element

·
Registered
227 Posts
I tried a few options when I first got the car 3 years ago, including 3 different pod setups, one with heat shield etc.

I then read a number of related articles, including an interesting one on Autocar or was it Autosport which said various test they had conducted showed a well designed standard airbox system was best all round. Interestingly it also said that if you must fit a pod type go for the Motor World "Race-X" as it was the best on test! (And £25!)

So I did the following mod to the standard airbox..and no, rain doesn't get in and mess things up, even carwashes don't faze it, loads of air through the additional 4" intake, and it's very direct so no lag. Replacement panel filter (dry) is Nismo.

Works for me and cost about £20 and took all of 2 hours including thinking time.

In conjunction with the decat it sounds awesome and goes link stink from standstill! Does appear to have lost out a little at the top end though, not that that concerns me, the drive's not long enough on our house!

Aitch

·
Registered
1 Posts
Arc box 2 new filters sourced from motor factor- blue point.
IIrc £11.30 for the small one, £21 for tother both in Red !
Should look out the part nos I suppose.
cokey

id be interested in them part numbers for the cheap arc filters also, please post them up if you have time, thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have one of the 1st gen ARC boxes on my BNR32. I bought the Ver2 sponge filters for it. The smaller one fits fine, but the main one is to big. If you jam it in the top of the filter will bow in and under load the filter will get sucked in. The bracket is also not deep enough. Options are get the old paper filter or trim the sponge filter by about 2mm sq. and order the updated bracket.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Stock airbox on mine with a Mines panel filter.

I'm not a fan of induction kits. The stock airbox does the job well, no need to replace it unless you have to IMO.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd like to know what people have done about induction with this for their system

i've bought the arc box to find it doesnt fit as the turbo cross over etc do not allow it to fit.

i would like to remove the hks filters of death! and perhaps use some box? maybe it will have to be custom made?

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Switched from ARC to Apex'i just wanted a simpler system, still to drive the car so no results yet. Will let you know what i think as soon as its back up and running!
;)
bob

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
could you not fit a concealed filter ie k&n apollo with cold ram pipes no hot air entering the filters but you do lose a bit of the induction noise.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts