GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have google'd this forever and cant get any useful info (maybe i google bad :) )

i have stock oil pressure sender w 2 wires. How have you wired that to ecu? i think that 1 terminal is variable resistance into gauge and second is for oil p. light

2. stock fuel level sensor w 3 wires. red, black and green. green and black have a variable resistance when fuel level changes. red goes to the bottom of the level arm- also for light?

i would need to know how to hook them up to link ecu probably to analog input? i probably have to use some pullup resistors?

thanks alot for info!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok since im in a hurry then digged more deeper and now it seems like a simple solution
if this is the case then both sensors are variable resistance so i need to wire a 1kohm resistor to +5v and analog voltage input. then the resistor pulls 5v down and that is what ecu sees

cant post pics as not 15 posts yet :)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Interesting post.. This will be something I'll be having to do. However - wouldn't it be better to change the sensor for a faster and more accurate (lower tolerances) sensor?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good point! im not sure what is the time difference when oil pressure drops from lets say 80psi to 15 psi between two sensors
@ 7000rpm the engine makes 116 rounds per second
so if one sensor would take 0,1 sec vs stock sensor lets say 0,5 sec
it is difference of ~60 rotations

but then again when you see a warning light come on and react by braking or turning off engine...few seconds time probably. is that enough and does the sensor reaction time make any difference in real life anymore?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Well... I guess when they say every second counts. For me - thousands on an engine over a few quid for a sensor plus risk...
Kind if a no brainer (assuming these sensors are indeed "upgradable").

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
true, this is not about the cost at all but the principle if it would help in real life
currently i have a brand new sensor but stock, ill get a aem one or similar and do some tests to measure reaction time

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got everything working so sharing a little

fuel level sensor had 3 wires. the ones that have resistance between them (black and green) are the ones needed. I added a 100ohm pullup resistor to +5v and got reading of 0,25v when full and 2,25V when empty.
i translated this into 0-100 reading to display tank empty or full in more sensible way

oil pressure sensor
measure again resistance between wires and casing. gthe one with resistance is what you need. also added 100ohm pullup resistor and got nice reading that must be translated into psi/bar
second wire should be for lamp...

in the end very simple task...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Very helpful. Thanks for posting. Any pics of your work?

Will be interested to see if you see any differences on the results between sensors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts