GTR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to check out an early model R32 GTR today. The car has not be running for a while. I changed the spark plugs on the engine then the car started up. But the stock oil pressure gauge did not go above 4 after the cold start. Then, I rev the engine a few times after warming the car for about 5 minutes. The stock oil pressure gauge moved up and down very slowly with a lag of a few seconds. The pressure was between 2.5 to 4.5

I just wonder if the oil pump has a problem or just the stock gauge works that way.

BTW, the engine ran OK without any abnormal sound.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Stock oil pressure gauges arent the best in the world, if you search the forums you'll find many threads about oil pressure, gauges and aftermarket items.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock oil pressure gauges arent the best in the world, if you search the forums you'll find many threads about oil pressure, gauges and aftermarket items.
Thanks for the suggestion!

However, I need to decide if I should buy the car or not. So, I have not choice to fit an aftermark gauge there. I just need to know if the behavior of the stock oil gauge is normal or if that indicates a problem with the oil pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

However, I need to decide if I should buy the car or not. So, I have not choice to fit an aftermark gauge there. I just need to know if the behavior of the stock oil gauge is normal or if that indicates a problem with the oil pump.

·
Registered
594 Posts
If in doubt stick a mechanical pressure guage on , of have a professional inspection made for piece of mind. Kevin

·
Registered
3,574 Posts

I would safe the money for the aftermarket oilpressure gauge and install a better oilpump,i know, a lot of money,but it safes you the rebuild:chuckle:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts