GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got a question and I was hoping someone might be able to answer it.

I've bought a 1996 GTR, and it has aftermarket suspension on it.

It looks really low in the front of the car (front lip looks to be about 4 inches above the road).

Does anyone know what the stock ride height should be for a R33 GTR?

Also, can anyone offer ideas on how I can determine what make of suspension I have on it?

Thanks guys.

David.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well by seeing your GTR, it looks like I have just about the same amount of clearance between my wheels and the fender lips.

Thats definitley going to bite, because our roads in Nassau are not the best and for some reason the government's road works department likes to put down huge speed bumps all over the road, and everyone is different.

I guess I will have to either purchase stock suspension bits or see how adjustable my suspension really is (I figure not much unfortunatly).

As soon as I get it cleared off of the docks, I will try and post some pics of the suspension, one of you guys should be able to tell me what the are.

Thanks guys.

David.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey guys, got a question and I was hoping someone might be able to answer it.

I've bought a 1996 GTR, and it has aftermarket suspension on it.

It looks really low in the front of the car (front lip looks to be about 4 inches above the road).

Does anyone know what the stock ride height should be for a R33 GTR?

Also, can anyone offer ideas on how I can determine what make of suspension I have on it?

Thanks guys.

David.
David, Ground clearance as follows:-

STANDARD GTR 145mm

GTR V-SPEC 135mm

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Thanks MADsteve, btw is that the Do-Luck front lip you have on your car ?

David :
I havent had any problems with speedbumps in Sweden or Denmark, but if your roads are that bad i would use standard coilovers, not easy to get from standard soft setup to a Aragosta hard setup. even that they state that it is a standard set, but alot harder. Have been thinking about to put my standard coilovers back on.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys, I appreciate it.

Well here is a picture of my GTR on the Dock. I am awaiting the paperwork to get it cleared thru Bahamas Customs. :squintdan

Its very dirty, but you can see how low the front lip is from the ground.

And from the rear.

Question, if the suspension is adjustable, how does one go about adjusting ride height? Or is that even possible?

Thanks again guys. :D

David.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your car is pretty low, alot lower than standard. If it's got coilovers you should be able to adjust the height but they might not go as high as the standard setting. Get the wheels off and have a look, it should become clear. Post some pics of suspension if you're in any doubt.

By the way what wheel and tyre combination have you got. I use 17*9 wheels with 255/40/17 tyres, I suspect you are using the same. This is a smaller radius than standard and again will make the car sit slightly lower.

Madsteves front splitter is a Trust. I've got the same on my car. I like mine but it's deeper than standard so reduces the ground clearance a fair bit and sticks out a bit further.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Lynchy, thanks for the info. When I get the car off of the dock on Monday I will have to check it out and let you know.

I honestly couldn't even guess as to what size wheel/tyre combo is on it. All I know for sure is the black powder coating is flaking off of the rim.

Ah well such is life with used vehicles. Gotta fix it is all.

Thanks again.

D.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well I got my GTR off of the dock today. And boy is it low!!! It will scrape every speed bump I roll over unless I take it at a crawl!

Good news though, I looked underneath the car and the rear shocks at least are Purple HKS units the have adjustable perches and what looks to be a valve on the bottom of the shock body. I would think the front are adjustable also.

I will try and post some pics of them later.

Does anyone know how to adjust them? I would like to raise the ride height and make the suspension a little more forgiving (it makes you shimmy over every bump you hit, I'm glad I'm not a girl because their parts would be shaking all over the place :p ).

Also, the battery was dead as a hammer, I had to jump it to get the car running and it wasn't running that great. Had a serious bog/hesitation at first, then it improved but still had the slight hesitation. Could this be to low voltage/bad battery?

Thanks guys for any and all help you can give.

David.

P.S. Hey Lynchy, you were spot on with the rim/tyre size. I have the same also.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, sorry to bring this thread back to life, but I have a question with the 145mm ride height.

Where is this measurement taken?

Or more specifically, what is the best point to measure the 145mm.

Right now I have 100mm under the front splitter, and 635mm from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well arches.

I am getting the suspension adjusted today and would like to know where to get the correct point to measure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Dave, its a good resource, and I am glad that I have it, but its not quite what I need. :(

I think that the 145mm is measured from the lowest point on the car (the front lip) but would just like confirmation that this is the best point to try and reach the required 145mm.

I appreciate the help though. :bowdown1:

Any ideas?

D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts