GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is finally almost done, and the last bits are being added. To my dismay, as I pulled out my shiny new Nismo Solid Shifter (10% reduction), with that nice shiny black finish, well, damned if it doesn't look exactly like what is already in the car. After a lot of eyeballing, and pulling out a measuring tape, all I could find was that this new Nismo shifter is about 5mm shorter in length. So, is this all the difference between stock and the Nismo unit, or am I looking at identical shifters?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The difference is in the distance from the ball pivot to the tip.

Generally though - "quick shifts" aren't in fact any quicker. They reduce the length of travel, but increase the effort required to change.

With the more direct shift kits, this can result in a slower change and more frequently missed gearchanges during fast driving, as I've found on at least 3 cars I fitted a short shift kit to.

I've recently binned the TRD shift I had on my TRD gearbox on the AE86 - as it needed too much effort and was slower than std. causing a lot of missed changes on the track where speed of change is crucial.

Having said that, I fitted a Mine's sports shift kit to my GT-R years ago and it did feel better.

Miguel.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well then, even if they are the same, I'll likely be happy with the new unit as it will have fresh bushings. I've tried, and hated, the big reduction shifters - fighting the shifter is the last thing I want to do while driving.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
The Nismo solid shifter just has uprated rubber packing between the shaft and the outer tube - hence the name - 'solid shifter'.

You need the short shifter if you want the short throw. 25% less travel.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Nismo solid shifter just has uprated rubber packing between the shaft and the outer tube - hence the name - 'solid shifter'.

You need the short shifter if you want the short throw. 25% less travel.

I'm good then :) - I just want a good snick for each shift - none of this half-inch short travel/100kg force per shift...

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
C's are nice.

I got a Stillway one that I am going to pull out and sell soon because I got a C's one. C's are great short shifter for road car.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I binned the one I had in my 32, makes for much less stress free driving....

As Miguel said, shorter shift, but much more effort required to change (and if it counts, on the strip I missed 3nd to 3rd three times - the third time resulting in a crunch which at 7000rpm isn't really the smartest thing to do!! - no problems now though :D)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts