GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry guy's didn't realise, It's worth registering just to read this thread!!

Anyway here's the starter post..............

I'm pretty sure it was a GTR and not the GTS, the thing is, it was dark, and the only time I saw the car properly is when he pulled up next to me for a few brief seconds, from then on, he was in my rear view mirror getting gradually smaller, and all I could make out were his headlights.

So story goes like this, I'm driving home from work on the A2 kent bound late the other evening, it must have been just before midnight. I was enjoying a leisurely cruise home with the stereo cranked to ear splitting levels just minding my own business in the middle lane when, about the welling area where the first speed camera is, a skyline pulls up in the fast lane and matches my speed. I can feel the presence of the driver looking in my direction so I glance over, sure enough he's looking my way. Then, with his left hand, he points at me, then points at himself, then points down the road we are heading. Its then that my adrenaline starts going, I think to myself, this is the battle of battles that has raged on for over a decade, the old Supra v Skyline drunk banter between owners fanboyism, and its down to me and chummy to set the record straight. Fine, lets do it.

It was perfect timing, as I gave the nod of acknowegment to my challenger, we were just approaching the speed camera white lines on the road, I knew that as soon as we passed the lines, it was game on, I heard the skyline drop to third as the noise from his car indicated and he sat right on his pwoer band ready to plant his foot into the carpet. I got about half way across the speed camera lines and pushed the accelerator all the way down with such vigour, I remember lifting myself out of the seat, I knew there would be a slight delay as the autobox found the optimum gear for the inevitable law breaking that ensued, sure enough, we get out of the danger zone of the camera, and sure enough, my baby obeys my orders with her often proven, over zealous onslaught of power and noise. I have the tunnel vision effect and am in full concentration mode as the speed climbs to (insert own imaginary number here) and I brave a glance into the rear view mirror, he's not only about 3 car lengths behind, but he's dropping back consistently. It wan't even close.

Supra 1 - Skyline 0

·
Registered
192 Posts
RACE

Nice one Mate.

Now let us here from the loser for his side of the story.

Any takers??

·
Registered
181 Posts
lol am i right in thinking due to the "gtr" sitting on its powerband as soon as the driver floored it, it would start moving fair quicker 2 the delay of a standard auto supra :confused:
did he also have go faster stripes?:chuckle:

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
hmm, stock for stock im sure the skyline is faster, but only just though!

i dont hate the supra in any way, the only reason i 'dislike' it, is that it has an auto box! lol. but that should be ignored.

to be honest, they have one of the best interiors ever in a jap. car. i must say, between the RX7, supra and GTR's...the Rx7 has the best cockpit:) second supra and then GTR..

sorry guys!

oh well.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
From a rolling run, an equivalent Supra will beat an equivalent Skyline - should be no surprises there.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
The supra auto box IS NOT BAD. My old one (like any other) could change gear quicker than joe average in his 6sp.

If he had it an MANU and Overide with it sitting in gear with the revs at 4k+ the supra driver would have been on immediate power with both turbo's.

If the Trac fuse had been pulled it would have changed gear quicker still ;)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
i dont hate the supra in any way, the only reason i 'dislike' it, is that it has an auto box! lol. but that should be ignored.
They're not all autos :)

I had an auto before I bought my six speed, couldn't get on with it, just personal taste. It kicked down a couple of times in the rain when I wasn't execpting it to and sent me *very* sideways, very unerving. I much prefer the manual.

BTW, I think "rapes" in the title is a bit of an exageration !

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I played that game too several times. Standing next to a boyish racer guy in his Golf or polo which he thought is a rocket.
I then opened the throttle a few times and the other guy got nervous- not to say race ready. Then when the traffic light jumped on green he jumped away with screaming 185/16 tyres like a crazy monkey all people staring at him and then there was me slowly putting 1st gear in and accellerating relaxed and driving away slowly PMSL.

No seriously that´s a nice story but as Skyline 34 said it would be very interesting to hear the other side of the story.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And this is his latest post.......

LOL, I think it may have been that one then surj.

Thats why I mentioned that I wasn't sure about whether it was or it wasn't.

Saying that though, if anyone knows of a stock GTR in Kent, I'd be more than willing to settle the debate

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
hmm, stock for stock im sure the skyline is faster, but only just though!

to be honest, they have one of the best interiors ever in a jap. car. i must say, between the RX7, supra and GTR's...the Rx7 has the best cockpit:) second supra and then GTR..

sorry guys!

oh well.
Personally I think the RX7 interior is terrible, not because it looks bad but because it has so little room in it. :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
ive driven all three and owned a rx-7 and my current gtr.

i have to say out of the three the supra had the worst driving position,the rx-7 interior looked cheap and nasty but it had the best driving position.

ive only drove my gtr 3 times so i cant relly comment on it yet. :rolleyes:

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
A2 welling bound.....hmmmmmm, the only Skyline I've ever seen around there is a White R33 GTS with Nismo rims which lives about 10 doors down my my girlfriends mums.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts