GTR Forum banner

Any chance of a blown stock turbo @ 0.9 bar?

• Yeah

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 43 44.8%
  • Turbo? What is that?

Votes: 5 5.2%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2 days after selling my GT-R, I learned that one of the turbo's broken (possibly the wheel). The car was tuned to run at 0.9 bar and did 373bhp at the fly and I was told that all was healthy.
Now, I'd like to know if anyone experienced it or know if that would be possible. I spoke to three different tuners who said that no way this would happen (which I agree on).
Would be interesting to see if it happened to anyone.
Thanks for the feedback guys

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
well turbos dont last forever. When they fail they fail at the end of the day.

I guess more to the point, how many miles have they covered? What exactly has happened to the turbo?

I take it the buyer is trying to claim money back off you or something maybe? whats the situation?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12,000km
Turbo not removed yet but we assume it's the wheel damaged.
This thread is not about the buyer, I'm just trying to turn my head around this and understand.
Thanks for sticking to the subject :)

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
12,000km
Turbo not removed yet but we assume it's the wheel damaged.
This thread is not about the buyer, I'm just trying to turn my head around this and understand.
Thanks for sticking to the subject :)
Well ye, with that sort of milage on a turbo running low boost does seem a bit odd for it to break? could it be a faulty unit?

Guess you will know more when the turbo is off.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
For reference I've been running my 15 yr old r32 with 70k at .9 bar and standard original turbos for years with countless trackdays and never had any bother.. did you have a boost controller on your car? - maybe the new owner had a little experiment with that...

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For reference I've been running my 15 yr old r32 with 70k at .9 bar and standard original turbos for years with countless trackdays and never had any bother.. did you have a boost controller on your car? - maybe the new owner had a little experiment with that...
This is what I thought but he said that he didn't change the boost

·
Registered
798 Posts
i blew mine back when i had standard turbos.hit the limiter in 2nd gear..cracked the shaft and shat the exhaust wheel out the exhaust system..i was running 0.9kgs boost(not even 0.9 bar)..435 at the fly..so ur not the only one !

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only weird thing was that it happened while at 3,500~4,000rpm not even pushing that much

·
Registered
485 Posts
Only weird thing was that it happened while at 3,500~4,000rpm not even pushing that much
Are you sure..?! as its very rare for a turbo to expire under normal circumstances like that, it would be more normal for one to fail under hard use, as in hard acceleration even just away from a set of traffic lights were the turbo is under load/preasure to creat the boost required etc etc...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
2 days after selling my GT-R, I learned that one of the turbo's broken (possibly the wheel). The car was tuned to run at 0.9 bar and did 373bhp at the fly and I was told that all was healthy.
Now, I'd like to know if anyone experienced it or know if that would be possible. I spoke to three different tuners who said that no way this would happen (which I agree on).
Would be interesting to see if it happened to anyone.
Thanks for the feedback guys
Could it be the seals?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Maybe its just one of those things. Stuff breaks. Could of happen to you if you had kept it a few more days.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have been running around 1.4 bar on stock turbos for over a year and had no troubles until the intercooler pipe popped off and over spun them...

...i'd also hazard that many individuals will be running around that, like my car was before I fitted my boost controller as it seems with the exhaust restrictors removed thats what ends up happening.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure..?! as its very rare for a turbo to expire under normal circumstances like that, it would be more normal for one to fail under hard use, as in hard acceleration even just away from a set of traffic lights were the turbo is under load/preasure to creat the boost required etc etc...
I know I find it totally weird to happen at 3.5~4,000 rpm :confused:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
This is what I thought but he said that he didn't change the boost
that's like if you had an incredibly hot nymphomaniac sister left alone with him at his house, and he says he didn't touch....

A weakening of the ceramic wheels could have happened at full boost, and then decided to let go later when just spinning near zero boost.

And out of genuine curiosity, where does one get stock turbos that young? (12K km) I always view stock GTR parts like I would a former prostitute - no matter how "lightly used" or "just a couple times 'round the block" they may say they are....

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that's like if you had an incredibly hot nymphomaniac sister left alone with him at his house, and he says he didn't touch....

A weakening of the ceramic wheels could have happened at full boost, and then decided to let go later when just spinning near zero boost.

And out of genuine curiosity, where does one get stock turbos that young? (12K km) I always view stock GTR parts like I would a former prostitute - no matter how "lightly used" or "just a couple times 'round the block" they may say they are....
When I bought my GT-R from Endless-R the engine was overhauled and both turbos were replaced with another set of stock turbos as Sugino san (boss of Endless found that the original stock were not working properly.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW, love your first comment Toby :D :chuckle:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
you can still buy brand-new ceramic stock turbos? wow

having a boost controller is yeah, just like being next to an underaged jailbait superhot nymphomaniac. I remember driving home after I got mine installed. I took it up from 0.7 bars to 1 bar, and WHOA! It was an hour drive home, and by the time I got there, my boost controller had somehow mysteriously found its way to 1.25 bars, and I had slammed into the fuel cut boost limiter several times....

people blowing up their Skyline within the first few days of ownership has happened very often. Blown engines (I took out my #6 piston in ten days), or another common incident with the RHD R32 in an LHD world like the States, is sliding the rear out and then slapping into a pole or tree or something. The S14 rear subframe is more forgiving, but in the rougher R32 (with the same rear subframe as the S13, which I've read is more "drag-style"), it does take a bit of practice to learn how to keep the car from spinning out if you want the rear to step out a bit. I did a fair bit of that too but fortunately never hit anything.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I think the general consensus, here, seems to be that it was a case of someone twiddling the boost knob a way too far...

My boost controller is the HKS EVC and capable of 2.5 Bar. When it was first fitted, before programming in the compensation, it boosted right up to 2.0 bar. I was off that throttle quick as I could because spool up was off then ON!!! The clutch can't take it let alone the turbos!

I can easily see how a relative newbie with a hard-on for power might wind it on and slap their foot down with glee, with all the expectation of a 9 second car, only to be almost instantly disappointed by the sound of fragmented metal.

I think one of the reasons some of these cars see the engine shop so frequently is that there are so many myths surrounding them and so many wild claims of power that when someone buys into it, especially if they have toys capable of over-stressing other parts of the car, the temptation is to throw caution to the wind.

There is a good reason why RIPZ haven't had engine failures; you have to pay a price for that.

On an end note, turbos don't last forever. Eventually, after heating up, cooling down, heating up, cooling down and mechanical wear through oil at end of it's life - they will fail. The more they are pushed, the sooner that time will come. It is HIGHLY unlikely that a turbo will go at low revs unless the boost controllers whacked up, thus spooling it up much sooner than when standard... If the guy is saying it went at low revs, that points towards high boost...
Anyway, thats my opinion.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for the feedback, but pls keep it on subject as I just wanted feedback about the turbos.
Thanks again :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts