GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little pointer on the subject :-

The dust has settled on stolen Jap cars but there maybe some still out there that havent been found. I am sure everyone knows the checks to make, but if you dont I have some info which may help.

Check all signs on your car for a date of manufacture, the best place is the seat belt white tab which indicates when the belt was made. for instance if you have 1994 tag and your car is a 1996 on the log book something may be untoward. You see, most cars in japan are sold and registered with 3 months of manufacture unlike the UK where you could buy a new car which was actually made 2 years previously but was unsold and therefore unregistered. so the story of ' it was sold late' doesnt really wash in most cases.

For £25 plus vat you can get Nissan's to check when your car was manufactured via the chassis number and cross reference that with any clues you find in the car regarding age.

If you have your suspicions then check further. The chassis numbers which were altered were very very good. but the paint they used was not. the colour match is good but they used celulose which with a little effort rubs off with thinners.

Nissan contact : Mr Tony Pryor, Nissan Motors GB, The Rivers Office Park, Denham Way, Maple Cross, Rickmondsworth, Herts, WD3 2YS.

No one wants to alert anyone about thier car if they have doubts but at least you may be able to do something about it before the plod knock at your door unexpectedly.

The info may help someone, I am no expert but have seen a couple of these cars, hope it may help someone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Very good post, i will kept all these things in mind when looking
for a skyline, as it seems to be a bit of a minefield!:)

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ringers

just to add, its obviously not only Skylines but thats what this forum is for - didnt want to put any bad vibes out for new owners.

if anyone has a different make of Jap car I should have similar details if needed.ie. honda etc.

I have this manufacture info as we register cars and sometimes need manufactures intervention for different reasons.

I suppose you could also get the official letter of when your car was manufactured at the factory just to add some history to the car if you are a train spotting type.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I was quite fortunate with mine in so much as since it's a limited edition, it could've only been made between a certain range of dates. Still, as you say buying a private car is often a minefield - I've certainly been burnt in the past.

It's probably even more treacherous with Japanese imports since an HPI check will only show history for the car when it was originally registered in the UK.

Sound advice Dirk :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts