GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got stopped tonight by the Rozzers cos my number plate is illegal apparently..
£30 fine and gotta get it fixed...in 14days :(. Is it really illegal i thought you were allowed smaller font sizes and that on jap import.. they did mutter something about character spacing.. I dont mind if its a fair cop but if it isnt that will annoy me. Pic of my plate can be found here...

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/91941-nw-meet-sunday-16th-march-helsby-arms-2.html 6th post down N3** **M.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looks like a fair cop to me. Letters don't look standard and spacing is def wrong. Sorry mate.

I am planning to change mine to a private plate soon, so hope I don't get any similar problems. Keep smiling.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
arw well cest la vie, as long as i can get a small plate made up legally that fits in the R33 numberplate surround Im not that bothered. Thanks for the advice guys

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
arw well cest la vie, as long as i can get a small plate made up legally that fits in the R33 numberplate surround Im not that bothered. Thanks for the advice guys
It won't fit in a one line text format as you have a full 7 digit number plate.
The recess is not wide enough to accommodate, there is a way that you could make a one line text format plate fit by filling the recess in with a flat piece of plastic then sticking the wider plate on the top making it stick to a flat surface.
Or just have the bigger 2 line text plate i'm afraid...unless you feel rich & buy a private plate?

Hope this helps your choose what you're going to do?

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Min'es on the splitter, motorbike sized letters. Not been stopped yet (touch wood, lol):

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Have a look at the blue GTR a few pics below your one on the thread you quoted above, the P reg one, that's what you need. It's using the smaller plate and smaller sized letters as allowed in the document above, you're allowed a smaller plate to fit the recess. You might be lucky and get all your characters in, although all your characters are "fat", you need a "1" somewhere :)

Your current one has the wrong thickness of font and the N and M are too close to the edges.

·
Registered
720 Posts
whats the smallest size plate/font you can have on an import, front and back, anyone know?

also, does the cars registration year make a difference to the above?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
mines placed on my dash with half the lettering covered. bought the car with it like it but not fixed it lol

"honest guv, it was well loose 5 mins ago so thought id rescue it and fit it when i get home"

but in honesty i think "**** you goverment *****, you aint tracking me round london" lol

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
whats the smallest size plate/font you can have on an import, front and back, anyone know?

also, does the cars registration year make a difference to the above?
See Alan's post above ;)

The link contained in that post takes you straight to the rules, section 14a is the one you're after

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've got 7 digits on motor cycle plates, took a while for the garage to make, and the price reflected the time taken!
you can get a frame that will fit your plate on the side away from the intercooler so you can use horrible big UK plates, go to RHD Japan, or use the stick on one on the splitter,

I hear Halfords make small plates, motor bike size, that will fit in the normal place,
Middlehurst made the ones on my last car and I never had any trouble, they were quite smart, give them a ring.

·
Registered
991 Posts
interesting they weren't worried about the plate size, more the letter spacing, that's handy for all of us using small plates.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I think they should bring back hanging for this heinous crime you have commited :chairshot :chairshot :chairshot

WTF have they nothing better to do, another shot in the foot for the muppets in blue

Yes your characters are not exactly as they should be, but they dont read something completely different either, and are crystal clear!!!
Unlike some of the registrations I see floating around
With 5's looking like s's, and one's made into L's etc
A bout of common sense should have prevailed, with a warning

Most probably got a fine due to the car you were driving :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
And the wan... oh sorry I mean police officer must have been on one

Why dont you go and police something other than motorists, you complete waste of spaces :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned:

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,037 Posts
No dung flung there. Just talked. lol

chaz_r33_gtr, This one's yours?

Here's mine with 5 letters and the legal minimum size and spacing on the same size plate. The difference is very obvious.

There's a bit of a crack down on this at the moment I believe. All to with ANPR.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts