GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a bad idea to straight pipe a stock r33 GTR ? What mods i should add to the engine before i do that ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, it's a bad idea. The exhaust will damage lungs, trigger asthma attacks, and is carcinogenic as well. Loud exhausts are also extremely obnoxious and really just a cry for negative attention. On top of that a stock RB26 has pretty poor boost control so you will probably cause boost overshoot with a straight pipe which can damage the turbos from overspeed.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Terrible. I'm putting an HKS Hi Power with mid-resonator back on. Mine only has a small dustbin at the back, no cats, no mid section - basically a straight pipe. Sounds ok but drone just ruins the tone for me and it stinks to high heaven.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have an r33 and after getting the cat and the resonator deleted it was still super quiet i took the muffker off like you now it sounds insane all i can hear is turbo now FINALLY

·
Registered
643 Posts
I took my HKS off and went with a silent Fujitsubo titanium. Has the muffler mid way and the rear can. Super quiet and I love it. I can pull the car out as early or late and not bother anyone.

If you really want something to make some noise but not piss off the neighbors add a cutout somewhere before the muffler. You can have your fun and not get evicted from your 'hood. If you have a test pipe that's a perfect spot. A cutout with a turn down and done.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I took my HKS off and went with a silent Fujitsubo titanium. Has the muffler mid way and the rear can. Super quiet and I love it. I can pull the car out as early or late and not bother anyone.

If you really want something to make some noise but not piss off the neighbors add a cutout somewhere before the muffler. You can have your fun and not get evicted from your 'hood. If you have a test pipe that's a perfect spot. A cutout with a turn down and done.
Those Fujitsubo titanium exhausts are great. They look amazing and flow really well too for how quiet they are. A friend of mine made 390wkw with one and the car sounds stock on idle

·
Registered
643 Posts
I was amazed. I had read they were quiet, then when I found one to buy I figured it was worth the shot. Couldn't be happier. It has the oval can, as I was over the potato gun HKS I had anyway, and I don't have to watch my back for cops and pissed off neighbors.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yeah, it's a bad idea. The exhaust will damage lungs, trigger asthma attacks, and is carcinogenic as well. Loud exhausts are also extremely obnoxious and really just a cry for negative attention. On top of that a stock RB26 has pretty poor boost control so you will probably cause boost overshoot with a straight pipe which can damage the turbos from overspeed.
You really think one car will make that big of an impact on a huge rock's atmosphere? :rolleyes: I swear, the weed laws in Commiefornia probably fried people's brains more than a straight piped car.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You really think one car will make that big of an impact on a huge rock's atmosphere? :rolleyes: I swear, the weed laws in Commiefornia probably fried people's brains more than a straight piped car.
Where did I say that? The point isn't about emissions at a global scale, the point is that this is something you're doing to people behind you in traffic and random pedestrians that happen to be near you. Anyone that happens to work on your car is also forced to breathe in a high concentration of the stuff. A warmed up car with a properly functioning catalytic converter has zero detectable smell unless idling in a garage. A decatted car emits enough NOx and unburned hydrocarbons to be immediately obvious to people driving behind you, even with the windows closed and HVAC set to recirculate. For pedestrians the smell is not only immediately obvious, it sticks around without wind to carry it away.

For cars that are only driven on the track or spend more time in pieces than actually running it doesn't matter that much but if you're going to be driving in traffic it really is an anti-social thing to do.

·
Registered
375 Posts
They will probably smell it for a few seconds. You're making it sound like they'll be traumatized from a little bit of petrol fumes. I don't really care if they don't like the smell. How come nobody makes a big deal out of fumes from vapes, cigarettes, and weed? But a few seconds of sniffing some fumes from a car that they will probably not see again is a catastrophe. I've sniffed so many petrol products and fumes in my life, and my lungs are fine and I am alive. It's just an excuse to feel "offended" and "violated" because someone decided to have fun by removing their catalytic converters.

·
Registered
236 Posts
They will probably smell it for a few seconds. You're making it sound like they'll be traumatized from a little bit of petrol fumes. I don't really care if they don't like the smell. How come nobody makes a big deal out of fumes from vapes, cigarettes, and weed? But a few seconds of sniffing some fumes from a car that they will probably not see again is a catastrophe. I've sniffed so many petrol products and fumes in my life, and my lungs are fine and I am alive. It's just an excuse to feel "offended" and "violated" because someone decided to have fun by removing their catalytic converters.
What are you even talking about? There are huge deals made about smoking in many places. Indoor smoking is banned in many areas. Vaping is less of an issue, but that's because it's not burning anything. Even vaping is banned in many indoor areas.

We're talking about street driven cars here. These are cars where people will go to a drive through and sit there idling their car for 5+ minutes with their straight piped exhaust. Everyone in the building, both food service workers and customers, along with everyone else in the drive through has to sit there huffing fumes. So no, it's not just a few seconds. There's a reason why it's federally illegal to defeat emissions control systems in cars. High flow catalytic converters can be almost indistinguishable in power compared to decat, so there's really no reason not to use one.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Are you in Northern California or something? That is the only place I can think of that makes a big deal about smoking cigarettes, yet they allow marijauna users outside to smoke with their atrocious smelling substances.

Josh, you actually believe that people in an insulated building can smell a straight piped car's exhaust fumes? How come I never witnessed myself huffing fumes when I lived in the South with no emission standards and boys pulling up with straight piped American muscle cars, yet I never smelt the fumes in an insulated building? Even my neighbor who had a straight piped Z28 didn't smell for me, even though he was next door. It's just an excuse. They're stupid loud, but the risks you're talking about are overblown like the msm tries to push. If op lived in America, he could just weld a hollow cat onto the straightpipe. Why is everyone in California so obsessed with those catalytic converters? It's funny, that even the Donut media tried to push false narratives of how cats are supposedly good.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Are you in Northern California or something? That is the only place I can think of that makes a big deal about smoking cigarettes, yet they allow marijauna users outside to smoke with their atrocious smelling substances.

Josh, you actually believe that people in an insulated building can smell a straight piped car's exhaust fumes? How come I never witnessed myself huffing fumes when I lived in the South with no emission standards and boys pulling up with straight piped American muscle cars, yet I never smelt the fumes in an insulated building? Even my neighbor who had a straight piped Z28 didn't smell for me, even though he was next door. It's just an excuse. They're stupid loud, but the risks you're talking about are overblown like the msm tries to push. If op lived in America, he could just weld a hollow cat onto the straightpipe. Why is everyone in California so obsessed with those catalytic converters? It's funny, that even the Donut media tried to push false narratives of how cats are supposedly good.

26 states in the US have indoor smoking bans in public places. This is irrelevant though, because a person smoking outside barely compares to a decatted street car. You don't even need to break out some scratch paper to know that a gasoline engine consumes at least an order of magnitude more air and accordingly a decatted engine is emitting at least 10x the emissions of a cigarette.

Insulation doesn't help when you have windows open or your building is intaking a bunch of outside air to make up for the massive range hoods over the fryers. Maybe you just have a poor sense of smell but it is 100% obvious when a decatted car drives near me, either as a driver or as a pedestrian. And people that drive decatted cars literally reek of exhaust byproducts, much like smokers. I don't need the "mainstream media" to tell me these things, I have personal experience from tuning motorcycle engines to know that I don't want to deal with decatted engines.

Do you honestly believe catalytic converters do nothing? This is basic, settled science from the 50s and 60s. Here's a great introductory guide on them, when these journal papers were written in the 60s and 70s they had nowhere near as well-made TWCs as we do today, engine control was also similarly quite crude but you can still see 90+% conversion efficiency out of these TWCs: Catalytic Converters - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Here's another paper from the 90s to show the improvements since then: [PDF] Controlling the Exhaust Emissions from Alternative Fuel Vehicles NEW OPPORTUNITY FOR PLATINUM METALS CATALYSTS | Semantic Scholar

If you honestly believe that exposure to all kinds of aromatic hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and nitrous oxides have no appreciable impact on your health then there's nothing left to talk about. This is basic science that has been well understood and accepted for literal decades now. Unless California somehow has a monopoly on science and engineering you should be able to do your research about these things.

·
Registered
375 Posts
You just proved my point with the mask. There is still smoking in public places outside. And people still do smoke out in bars, despite that map you provided.

I never said cats don't do anything. Regarding scent, you must have the sense of smell of a tyrannosaurus-rex then. Even at races I go to my friends and I cannot really smell the scent of the petrol being burned and expelled. I strongly believe you're just trying too hard to prove that a catalytic converter is such a good thing for a car. It chokes the car, reduces power, and in turn you only get happy cyclists, Karens, and city dwellers. And I still cannot believe that you can smell a car's exhaust from a building, if windows are open and the car is 8 feet away yes, but if you're in an office building working from a cubicle I highly doubt it. If John wants to straight pipe his car, I don't see the big deal. I'd just keep the muffler on to make it less loud. It's not like his 1 car without a cat will destroy glaciers, kill people, etc. Let the lemmings drive boring eco cars, enjoy life. And please don't tell me you actually believe man-made climate change is real.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You just proved my point with the mask. There is still smoking in public places outside. And people still do smoke out in bars, despite that map you provided.

I never said cats don't do anything. Regarding scent, you must have the sense of smell of a tyrannosaurus-rex then. Even at races I go to my friends and I cannot really smell the scent of the petrol being burned and expelled. I strongly believe you're just trying too hard to prove that a catalytic converter is such a good thing for a car. It chokes the car, reduces power, and in turn you only get happy cyclists, Karens, and city dwellers. And I still cannot believe that you can smell a car's exhaust from a building, if windows are open and the car is 8 feet away yes, but if you're in an office building working from a cubicle I highly doubt it. If John wants to straight pipe his car, I don't see the big deal. I'd just keep the muffler on to make it less loud. It's not like his 1 car without a cat will destroy glaciers, kill people, etc. Let the lemmings drive boring eco cars, enjoy life. And please don't tell me you actually believe man-made climate change is real.
This is a really weak rebuttal. Smoking a cigarette outside barely compares to a gasoline engine decatted because just going down the street an engine is ingesting a lot more air and creating a lot more exhaust. Indoor smoking is a much bigger issue because it's concentrated.

You really must be nose blind to not detect the overwhelming smell of exhaust. It's not hard to find other people discussing the issue: how bad is the exhaust smell w/cats removed?

It's pretty bad on the outside...

I barely ever smell anything inside the car but people behind and outside DO . You definately dont want a cop car anywhere near you and Ive had some people at stoplights pinch their nose and point at my car.
All I know is that I rode behind my buddy's WRX after we put a full catless exhaust on and it was awful - I had to change lanes to try to escape the smell.
If you have ever been at the race track with all the high performance cars zooming by, the rancid gasoline/exhaust smell is pretty much what it smells like.
With no cats it smells like some *******'s ratted out 1988 Monte Carlo.
Catalytic converters are there for a reason. It's not the 70s anymore, catalytic converters can flow as much power as you want them to. Their restriction is negligible when properly sized, the more power you want to make the bigger the catalytic converter you need:

With any kind of fast food joint you often have a line of cars idling around the building and a lot of outdoor air intake from the range hoods. The HVAC system can filter out particulate matter but that's not what gasoline engines emit in steady state and not what catalytic converters solve for. Office buildings usually don't have cars close enough to HVAC intakes by design, but I can assure you from personal experience that running gasoline engines near any kind of HVAC intake is a good way to get yelled at by people in the building.

This has nothing to do with climate change, which is caused by CO2. Catalytic converters take NOx, CO, and unburned gasoline and convert it into N2, CO2, and water. NOx, CO, and unburned hydrocarbons damage lungs and can trigger asthma attacks. It's not hard to do the right thing for everyone else that is stuck in traffic with you, the majority of which are in fact your neighbors, not "city dwellers", "karens", or "cyclists". I'm tired of "enthusiasts" acting like lemmings decatting their cars. It makes everyone else who is actually responsible look like a bunch of obnoxious man-children.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts