GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
looks clean, GTR front end conversion and an unusal colour for an R34 I think?

Needs a GTR spoiler but other than that I like it... what sort of money is it likely to go for?

Simon

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Those side skirts are a bit on the deep side, not very speed bump friendly.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts

·
Registered
25,945 Posts
cars like that you really need to inspect on the ground due to its R grade status. (which could mean a number of things) from a replacement wing after a small light damage / colour change, to something far more serious

i guess its been bought already, (last weeks auctions) or going through this week.

basically its just a 4 door 34 with a BCNR33 '26 engine (unknown mileage) in it (possibly a 26 in it, as its been crossed out multiple times) mapped on Apexi PFC. its nothing that special. its got some nice VOLKs on it, but they look 17"

really need to look at the quality of the body work, respray, and quality of the RB thats in it, which you can only do by getting the keys on the day and looking at how good the swap is.

Think the Kit is by URAS

it sort of sums up just buying a car off one screen shot,

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Thats not always the case though...
A friend of mine back in Scotland did the whole Japanese auction 'thing' and ended up buying an R32 GTR of remarkable quality and shipping it to UK..all on the back of 2 pictures and an auction info sheet. Once car was picked up it turned out to be a beauty with a substatial amount of aftermarket parts on it which had not been declared on info sheet.

As with any auction, in the UK or anywhere around the globe, you take a chance. Its equally true to say that even being there in the flesh and seeing the car is no guarantee that it will be fit to drive away from the auction house.

You can pick up a diamond or a dung'er....theres only so much you can do to sway the odds. At the end of the day its a gamble you take and it CAN pay off. Ive definately made a net profit myself when i used to buy/freshen up/sell on years ago. Been stung a couple of times but overall, there is money to be made and nice cars to be bought.

TT

·
Registered
25,945 Posts
Thats not always the case though...
A friend of mine back in Scotland did the whole Japanese auction 'thing' and ended up buying an R32 GTR of remarkable quality and shipping it to UK..all on the back of 2 pictures and an auction info sheet. Once car was picked up it turned out to be a beauty with a substatial amount of aftermarket parts on it which had not been declared on info sheet.

As with any auction, in the UK or anywhere around the globe, you take a chance. Its equally true to say that even being there in the flesh and seeing the car is no guarantee that it will be fit to drive away from the auction house.

You can pick up a diamond or a dung'er....theres only so much you can do to sway the odds. At the end of the day its a gamble you take and it CAN pay off. Ive definately made a net profit myself when i used to buy/freshen up/sell on years ago. Been stung a couple of times but overall, there is money to be made and nice cars to be bought.

TT
I guess you have never been to USS in person? you can clearly see & run the cars when you are there, so yes you can tell if its fit to drive away. cant really do that from an auction picture.

R32s especially are becoming very hard to find, and demand in Japan is rising, so are the prices. some auction cars are fetching far more than top end ones based here.

anyway, if you are remote, take your pick if you want to use auction sheets to determine how good a car is. end of the day its your money.

the yen rate is still far lower than it used to be, and the car availability (of excellent quality cars) is far lower

we look at hundreds a week, and sometimes buy 1 or maybe no cars over weeks, it really depends on what type of quality you are looking for or wish to stock/purchase.

someones "Minter" is another persons "dog rough"

nothing beats looking at a car in person

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
I agree completely with your last 2 statements....

I have gone to look at cars for sale from private sellers outwith auctions and its frustrating to arrive to look at a 'minter' to find its more like the scabby dog from next door who's had a recent run in with the other neighbours cat!!

As I say, for auctions, being there is not necessarily a guarantee that everything is hunky-dory!! Similarly, buying a used car in a private sale is just as fraught with risk in that you can only ever base your purchasing decision on what you can see at the time.....you will never see the sawdust in the shot diff/gearbox until you drain the oil, or the cambelt thats more frayed than your aunties knickers!!

Buyer be informed but beware..

TT

·
Registered
709 Posts
Depends who your agent is in Japan. Most should inspect the car prior to bidding so you aren't exactly buying off the back of a couple of pics. Years ago I used a company that inspected the cars prior to bidding and they would reject my bids on cars that they thought weren't suitable - sadly they stopped doing exports a few years ago. Not sure if the current Jap based ones do this though. That said, it's always a bit of a lottery buying this way and depends upon your attitude to risk.

As to this car - T78 RB26 with the front end replaced - worth a punt if cheap enough especially considering it's a Grade B too. I'd want someone to inspect it prior to bidding if it was me though.

·
Vendor
3,451 Posts
The guys I use in Japan are very good as well.

They will inspect a car and reject if any issues.

I've bought loads of cars before and never ever had any issues with any of them,

Always been as described and what I expected.

Pm me if you need more info mate.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts