GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just purchased a Fuji Finepix 6800 zoom digi camera and as some of you are aware I have been taking pictures at the various meets/track days with it. And I have had some good results.

The only problem is and its why I haven't shared my photos with you yet, is that poxy AOL won't let me set Outlook Express as my default application thus not letting me send the photo files out!

So its AOL out and a new Internet Sevice provider in. I use it at home for fun really, the Mrs does her PTA stuff on it (Yawn).

So any suggestions? I'd rather go for the fixed monthly charge service but I am flexable.

Come on u techies!!!

·
Registered
404 Posts
ISP,s

Ian,

Apart from this brilliant network that must have been engineered by a genius ;) I’m using now I use www.freenet.co.uk in the UK, and my brother that lives in the UK, recommends www.ntl.co.uk or www.freeserve.com looks like good value for money.

There are a lot of choices in the UK, surely there must be books and magazines to guild you on this :confused:

End of the day though anything is better than AOL. :rolleyes:

Paul.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers everyone!

Thanks for all the replies lots to choose from, I am even thinking about a little web site action to display some of the better pictures full time!

One other think...you are all right AOL does suck1:D

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
AOL

Ian
I use AOL with outlook and have no probs sending anything.
In the mail accounts you have to set the connection to
"Using Dialer"
That was the only prob I found early on
Hope this helps
Best regards Alan:D

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
AOL

Ian wot's wrong with AOL??

I've been with them for 5 months and have had no probs whatsoever...........

Come on £15 a month ....umlimited access......What do ya want??
Someone to clean those lovely new rims????
:D
Does 'she' indoors know how much they cost??;)

Whatever you do though,dont go with BT freeserve (or whatever its called).They were on watchdog a few weeks ago with many people complainig about their connections etc.........

See ya Saturday mate

Paul...................

·
Registered
404 Posts
Oh hell AOL

Paul,

What’s wrong with AOL?

I don’t know where to begin with all the problems with AOL.

When you installed AOL you PC became an AOL interface device, it’s no longer a Personal Computer.

The AOL software corrupted programs such as Outlook forcing you to use the AOL software instead.

You are now in the control of AOL. You will conform to their will. You will only go to AOL approved sites (that’s the ones that pay them to be included) we call this in the trade an internet ‘Garden wall’.

I know people that have had to re-installed windows to get rid of AOL.

Other ISP’s have sort comings such as forcing their welcome page up when you first connect, and the most common problem is lack of dial in lines, some also don’t have a very good infrastructure i.e. slow or busy pipes to the internet.

You’ve a big choose in the UK, but because of heavy marketing doesn’t make AOL a good one.

If you are happy with the limitations of AOL then keep it, but Ian’s problem is typical of the reasons not to use them.

By the way how’s you car?

Regards Paul.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ISP Problems

Hi Paul

I work in the Internet Security Business and so I here about all sorts of problems with all number of ISP's..

These are list of ISP's that don't use, these are for various reasons, security being a major concern access is another and general service.

AOL, Bandwidth at connection time not usually a high one and AOL accounts get hacked all the time. Trojans and all sorts get spread around very quickly. Also AOL talks to your machine on certain ports (how it talks over the internet) which are in-secure.

BT-Internet, These guys have a terriable service and they block certain applications out from your machine. So if your ever wondering why real video fails to work that is why. Also there connection speed is terrible.

NTL, Ever tried getting through on their telephone lines for support... Hehe what a laugh that is. Connection speeds not great particularly when they are busy.

Freeserve, Again awful when they are busy and support terriable. Also recently had they hosted sites compromised.. Opps

The list go's on..

One I would recommend is Lineone. (I know they are supposed to be part of BT) These guys are independent to BT do not block anything from your machine, and at the busy time the connection rate is of the highest standard. The support is good Should you need it. The only thing is that you pay for what you use on a local call rate... Down side to every story. Have a look. www.lineone.net

Hope this helps

Malc;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Getting on the right line

Malc,

I’m in the same business as you more or less, but in Germany.

Here AOL is a hard sell with CD’s been given out everywhere.

I personally use a local ISP called RITANET cheap at DM69 per month for DSL and unlimited access.

But the choice is very limited compared to the UK.

Just one thing though how come it’s taking sooooo long for ADSL 8 Mbps to be available in Europe?

Paul.

·
Registered
167 Posts
ADSL

Hi Paul

What do you do ?? And who is it you work for?

The problem over here is that British Telecome have not upgraded all of their switches to digital switches or if they have they do not contain the correct digital board to support broad band ADSL. Although the main BT Switches have been ADSL ready since the late 80's:mad: :mad: :mad:

They really need to sort it out..

I think it's more available across the rest of Europe then it is in the UK..

Malc:smokin:

·
Registered
225 Posts
BT are deliberately dragging their feet on ADSL as their support infrastructure can't cope with current demands.

I never have problems with BT at all - fast - reliable - nothing blocked and don't screw up your PC (don't use the software - set it up manual)

Phil

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Yep, I'm with Btconnect and can recommend the service. I use BT Business Highway with Anytime. For a small monthly charge I get 24 hour ISDN connection without any call charges at all. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts