GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

yesterday i got my R34 25GT four. Imported from Japan and i good throuhout condition.

There is only a strange noise and vibrations coming from the rear axle when i go into a right or left turn at low speed (first gear).

the noise is difficult to explane, it´s like a judder or rattle.

the more narrow the turns, more significant the noise and vibrations.

It feels to me like the diff is some kind of locked.

Are there similar experiences to any of you as the GT25 four has the same attesa system like the GTR simply without the elektronicaly operated LSD.

Cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
locked diff?

Thanks Mookistar,

lots of things in that thread sound familiar, except that the judder, rattle with mine is only when cornering. It is only to hear when you turn the steering wheel at least half a turn. The noise, rattle, whatever it shall be called, comes definately from the rear axle.

Also i will give it a try by changing the fluids of the diff and transfer as they did it to solve it in the linked thread.

Just from the feeling i still think it´s related with the rear diff.

Has any one of you once had a limited slip diff, which was fully locked? (it feels like)
Interessting might be, that the car was not driven for a very long time in Japan.

cheers

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
If the diff is locking up you'll notice the inner wheel slipping when turning in...Try turning on loose gravel and see what happens ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm going to say its got a 1.5 way diff? Which is always locked when accelerating. If you go into a sharpish bend and coast round does it still judder? Do the same again but on the power and see if the judder is there? I've got a 1.5 way in mine and you've never heard such a cluncking and banging! Might be. Has the car got any other mods?

Charlie

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

and many thanks to your opinions and advices.

@ freakazoid3
Yes, i did try it on a gravel parking space and it is how you`ve said. I could see marks from the rear wheels on the gravel when i did a close turn (driven pretty slowly). And i could feel it during the turn, that the wheels where scraping on the ground.

@ Oggers
i cannot say that the diff is locked while accelerating but as i did the sharpish bend on power, i could still recon the judder. There are no mods on the car as the car is 100% factory (exept the alloys).

As i have red in the thread, Mookistar was giving the link, most of the other problems where solved by changing the fluids.

Therefore i replaced the rear diff oil with 1.6l Syntrax Limited Slip 75W-140 and after a few narrow turns the judder and rattle vanished.

So far the problem seems to be solved and can be marked as such (moderators please, or can i mark this as solved anyhow by myself?)

Many thanks to all who served there information and helped me to quickly solve this problem.

Cheers
Jakob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts