GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok for the last year or so my car makes a horrible smell, which i can only describe as something similar to what garbage juice smells like, its not that strong, and it only ever does it when the car/oil is hot.

this leads me to believe that its actually hot gearbox oil smell, as i believe the crank case breather fumes smell more like fuel?

if it is indeed the gearbox thats emitting the stink, how do i stop it, does anyone elses do this?

the smell is really getting to me now and is taking away my enjoyment of the car.

R32 GTR.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Have you added a catch can to the engine? Does it have a filter that is in the engine bay?

What are the pipes on the carbon canister looking like? perished? cracked at the canister?

What about the clear brown breather pipes from the gearbox? have they cracked?

....Few things to check.

·
Banned
2,230 Posts
Mine only happens at speed and with the window ajar

ron at rk couldn't find a cause but it's not a strong smell and passes when I slow down

mook

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
i had the same problem guys. Take off the gear gaitors. and check the one under the metal surround that sits onto the transfer box.

Mine was leaking transfer fluid from there and i was advised by rb motorsport it is a common problem.

If it is this give them a ring and they can supply you with a much higher quality part to sort it for good.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks i will have a look tomorrow, and mook i did a thorough test today and yes it does smell like gas and only with the window open like yours!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yeah def sounds like a touch of gearbox oil seaping through the rubber gatters around the top of the box & gear stick, Farily common problem & can really stink depending on what gearbox oil has been used...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i checked this and indeed there was lots of oil under there, but i took everything off and my rubber parts (both of them) seem in top condition with no wear or splits, i think the screws were not tight enough and the bottom rubber was not under the plate the whole way round, ive moved the rubber and tightned the screws up more, so will wai and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
it only needs a slight nick in the gaitor and it will seep through. i would replace it for the uprated rhino rubber and be done with it.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Yeah def sounds like a touch of gearbox oil seaping through the rubber gatters around the top of the box & gear stick, Farily common problem & can really stink depending on what gearbox oil has been used...
Just so people know, gearbox oil is not what comes out of the gearstick hole, its transfere case fluid which is the red power steering type of oil.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Just so people know, gearbox oil is not what comes out of the gearstick hole, its transfere case fluid which is the red power steering type of oil.
And anyone who has worked on cars for any time will know the red oil (ATF), especially well used ATF smells awful and quite strongly, I personally find it utterly vile.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Gentlemen, I constantly have this massive headache (literally) after driving my R32. Has anyone have experienced similar symtoms?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Probably running really rich and you may have exhaust leaks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts