GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bizarrely my car seems to have HKS coilovers on the front and standard suspension on the rear, I can only think a PO had a problem with the rear HKS units and changed back to standard...however.

One of the front ones is now leaking, and (I've got some time, it went through the MOT so is not very bad) now I need to think about replacement suspension in the next couple of months.

I don't want Tein. I'll say that now, because I've been there and done that, and it wobbles my wobbly bits, LOL. In other words it is FAR TOO HARD. I really want some decent, not too harsh, potentially adjustable suspension. I say potentially, as I *may* track the car at some point.

What suggestions?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I drove Type S equipped R33 and it worked great. Harder than stock but not too much, it felt rigid and comfortable.

On the other hand you can go to something like B6 or B8 Bilsteins (if they're made for R34) with some springs. I have this setup on RX7 (B8) and it's flawless.

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Asim unfortunately tightening up my wobbly bits would be far too expensive, LOL, cheaper to buy compliant suspension.:thumbsup:

Have heard good things about S-Tunes.

Anyone heard of nitron?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
BC coilover do a package for GTR34s (try Indigo-GT)

Spring rates are quite soft and they are adjustable so can be run soft for the road and tightened up for the track.

Only about £650 and was v happy with them on my Evo6.

Meister R may also do R34 coilover and they are similar in price, but I believe have a tarsh harder springs.

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TBH I'm worried by the quality of anything of that price brand new. Maybe I shouldn't be?

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have, moany admin!!

LOL, I also got a PM on them. I can see one or two good feedbacks but wanted to hear more.:D

·
Registered
434 Posts
S Tune are made from a big manufacturer as their are made under Nismo name... so i think (i hope :D ) it's a good quality product...

does anybody has pictures to see how it lower the car?:confused:

·
Registered
858 Posts
I have S-Tune HA and love it. I've been through HKS Hipermax and Apexi suspension before these and they are a world apart. Hipermax were up around 13kg/mm, from memory S-Tunes are about 6 kg/mm and in my opinion far better suited to our roads. On all but a smooth race track they'll be quicker too - with the HKS you spent half the time skipping over bumps, not absorbing them.

One of the rears of the HKS also leaked after <20k miles. Not good enough, and very difficult to rebuild. Between the two of us we could make 1 working set and maybe someone will buy them!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was considering buying the set of Nismo S Tune on here that sold a few weeks back as a mainly road and occasional track shock.

I thought Nitron were more track orientated though?

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The HKS are largely discontinued now as well. I really really don't want a harsh ride, I'm getting too old.:D

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
"TBH I'm worried by the quality of anything of that price brand new. Maybe I shouldn't be?"

Toni,

Yep, they are cheap, however my Evo came with Apexi suspension, solid as a rock and very expensive. It fell apart when it was taken off!!

BC racing is cheap, but they sell spare parts for rebuild and have an agent in the UK (Devon way I think) whereas, a lot of the expensive Jap stuff you may as well chuck away (I couldn't get the Apexis rebuilt in this country, needed to send to Japan!).

I only did a few thousand miles on the BC stuff before selling the car, but they have had good reviews.

Meister-R are a UK company, but now have the product made overseas from memory. Best to contact the supplier if you are interested.

Heard Niton and EXE-TC are good if you are looking to spend between £1 to £2K.

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Budget - well I don't really want to spend over £2K (Ohlins, whilst nice, are just probably a bit out of reach). In fact I'd really want to keep it below £1500. As much below as possible.:thumbsup: But I don't want cheap stuff either. TBH the BC worries me. I'll look into the MeisterR more though.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
What about HSD coilovers that are available from Driftworks? They're a monotube design and are quite good in my opinion. I had a set on my R32 and ran them on the softest setting on road- I found them firm but compliant. Quite a nice ride I thought. Obviously being from Driftworks you've got the back up there too. Around £700 i think.

For info Nismo S Tune are very nice on the road too. I went out in a R34 with them fitted and it felt very supple. This is the sort of drop you get with the S tune on 18's:

·
Registered
270 Posts
BC's are good few people have them on that i know with no problems on road and track, saying that you don't want them because they are "cheap" just make it sound like you have money to burn and are a bit of a brand whore for the big names.

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I'm not arguing that, I might be a bit of a brand whore. That's mainly because I know you normally get what you pay for.:thumbsup: I don't think you should stick any old cheap stuff on a GTR and I do care about what I am putting on it. But that is why this thread is here, if a good make at good money is vouched for, I may look into it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hi Toni,

I know of a set of Hks coilovers that i was offered some years back.
They are hardly used and came off a pretty special R-34Gtr that arrived here years ago.
These are the limited edition Gtr Magazine coilovers.
I know the owner well and i am certain if he still has them that i can get these for a good price.
But the shipment to Britain is probably hefty, i dont know.

Terje.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts