GTR Forum banner

Struggling to refit gearbox

2K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  Dan ep3 turbo 
#1 ·
Hi guys

Don't know if somebody can help me out.

Basically spent the whole day wrestling with my gearbox, now have badly bruised shoulders and my pride a little dented lol.

I have an R33 GTR, I've upgraded to a HKS triple plate (pull type) clutch, I can get the box spline into the plates but no further, it's just won't go.

What am I doing wrong.

#3 ·
Not 100% certain as to which way it should be.

As it is, I have it with ring on the release bearing towards the gearbox/pressure plate hence only one plate between pressure plate and ring on the release bearing. The other two plates are below the ring.

Hope that makes sense.
I will take it off again tomorrow and get some pics.

Any help appreciated.

#6 ·
Ron do you mean the thrust bearing? If so This can only go on one way.

The plates are aligned, although these don't require to be done individually as the centre spline is one that lines up the plate and slides onto the gearbox spline us actually one piece.

Will get done pics up.

The thing is, the box lines up, slips on to the dowls, but the tip of the gearbox spline just won't go far enough (into crank spigot bearing), and there is a gap between the bell housing and block, about a cm.

If I try to bolt it up, the engine locks, I can only assume the spline is off centre and is catching, hence lock up.

#8 ·
The thing is, it's the same box which fits no problem without the clutch on, so nothing on that side should need to be trimmed down.

The issue in my opinion is the clutch. I've aligned the plates, gearbox shaft/spline slips through the plates, but then won't go any further. It's literally a cm away.

The release thrust bearing, which is obviously fitted to the fork prior (pull type) lines up and slots in.

Looking through the box, there doesn't seem to be any space for the fork to operate correctly.

It's a big clutch and just getting the box on/off is a horrid task.

#10 ·
I'm 100% it's aligned properly, had it in and off a good few times

Just won't go. I'm thinking my realise/thrust/throwout bearing (whatever you want to call it) might be incorrect.

I didn't get one with the clutch, I'm using one I removed from a nismo twin plate that came in the car when I purchased it.

That being said it looks like a standard pull type bearing.

#15 ·
No idea in honesty, how can I tell and what difference would it make?

I purchased it from a member on here, as a complete unit minus release bearing.

I used the bearing that was on the car and previously used on a nismo twin plate.

I'm losing hope. Another day of fighting, rechecking, refitting, still 1cm off.

D-Ranged- in my opinion it's perfectly aligned, I've fitted many clutches but this is ridiculous.

I suspect the release bearing but not 100% what to compare against.

#17 · (Edited)
looking at pic 2, does the HKS have its own release bearing on the Pressure plate?

then you have one on your box aswell,

also does the inner ring of your bearing(on the box) fit into this Pressure plate?

you may need to turn the Prop side a bit whilst fitting on. worked for my mates car I helped him with

#18 ·
I hear what you are saying and could explain why it's catching and leaving me with a gap of 1cm.

Only thing is the part on the clutch is a locking spring not a release bearing as such.

There is no way the fork could physically attach and pull anything on that part.

#23 ·
Some clarity on the subject would be good.
Going of the earlier post, a user asked if I was sure it wasn't an R34 clutch, which usually means it should be r33 specific.

So is were the problem is?
I know the flywheel bolts are different between the r33/34.

#26 ·
Easy way would be to remove the fork and bearing and offer the box up and see what happens. If it engages fully then you could at least confirm that it is a bearing issue and not something physically wrong with the spigot or misalignment.

Once thats confirmed then its a case of identifying what is exactly wrong with the release bearing assembly. I appreciate that getting the box on/off aint exactly a breeze but best to eliminate the obvious rather than think too far into the problem!!!

TT

#27 ·
I've had the box off/on that many time now, I'm confident I can do it blind lol.

Time to start eliminating.
Box mates up no issue without clutch.
Box aligns, and shaft slides into clutch no issue but won't go all the way.

I will try without the release bearing before I go home.

#28 · (Edited)
Well I can officially confirm that an R34 clutch will not fit an R33.

What a horrid lesson to learn lol

The clutch sits far to tall, which causes for it to catch the fork mounting bracket, not allowing any further travel.

I now need another clutch, this is a step backwards and halts progress.
Did I mention my shoulders now replicate the volcanic rock look lol.

Let the pics do the talking.

Fork removed to give a better view

Clearly catching here

That 1cm gap between block/box,,'I've been fighting with.

fork mount

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.