GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gearbox is pretty much on its last legs, 1st gear and 4th gear issues. It's got a push kit fitted. Am I correct in thinking if I buy a non push type gearbox, I can just swap the kit over along with the clutch

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is it definitely the gears rather than the clutch, just not worth spending money out when there's no need

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep clutch is fine. Terrible grind between gears and 1st is only accessible by sliding into 2nd gear beforehand. Clutch is a tripple plate OSG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep clutch is fine. Terrible grind between gears and 1st is only accessible by sliding into 2nd gear beforehand. Clutch is a tripple plate OSG
Nice, the triple clutch must be nice & fast with pulling away from the lights.
Hard to get used to or like riding a bike?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've just had the exact same problem you are describing and it was the slave cylinder , new one fitted and was cured instantly , sometimes you would feel it was in gear and it wasn't , other times it wouldn't go in atall and sometimes it was ok for a few days and then would play up again . I'm sure you all know more about these things than me but thought I would mention it incase its a possibility .

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've just had the exact same problem you are describing and it was the slave cylinder , new one fitted and was cured instantly , sometimes you would feel it was in gear and it wasn't , other times it wouldn't go in atall and sometimes it was ok for a few days and then would play up again . I'm sure you all know more about these things than me but thought I would mention it incase its a possibility .
Your slave cylinder was leaking, right?

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it won't be much extra to swap the slave cylinder as well while I'm at it. The gearbox is old and seen a lot of miles so it really needs freshened up or replaced with a lower mileage one anyway
In a week or so I'll have enough spare cash to deal with it so for now I'm just keeping an eye on the parts for sale
There is a push type box on eBay but I'd rather one from a reliable trader or well know forum member
Time is on my side

·
Registered
381 Posts
Go with a R34 6sp box and a nice twin plate clutch. very nice set up to have, but when you do go that route you will need the front diff as well to be swapped out.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Go with a R34 6sp box and a nice twin plate clutch. very nice set up to have, but when you do go that route you will need the front diff as well to be swapped out.
No you don't, if you leave the stock R33 diffs in front and rear it'll be fine. It'll just gear it down a bit

·
Registered
381 Posts
No you don't, if you leave the stock R33 diffs in front and rear it'll be fine. It'll just gear it down a bit
Sorry man, I like doing swaps right and not 1/2 ass items. Also best thing I have done to date has been getting a front locker in as well from Quafe. expensive but the car drives sooooooooooo nicely now.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
It's not really a "1/2 ass" swap if you don't fit the 34 diffs, if keeping the 33 diffs it's a good way of gearing it down to get better acceleration at the cost of top speed. I think with 33 ratio diffs you're top speed would be around 180mph

In fact, I have my own "dream spec" in my head and it includes a 34 box with 33/32 ratio diffs

I don't disagree at all with fitting after market diffs

There's a few people on here with the Getrag box and 33/32 diff ratio combination, maybe they could add?

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would much rather better acceleration than a slightly better top speed of I had the choice tbh

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It does sound more like a slave cylinder issue, I would try that first, it would save a lot of time and money. You may find that your gearbox is problem free after that! Trying to find a genuine guaranteed low mileage box will be hard.

Well it won't be much extra to swap the slave cylinder as well while I'm at it. The gearbox is old and seen a lot of miles so it really needs freshened up or replaced with a lower mileage one anyway
In a week or so I'll have enough spare cash to deal with it so for now I'm just keeping an eye on the parts for sale
There is a push type box on eBay but I'd rather one from a reliable trader or well know forum member
Time is on my side

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It does sound more like a slave cylinder issue, I would try that first, it would save a lot of time and money. You may find that your gearbox is problem free after that! Trying to find a genuine guaranteed low mileage box will be hard.
Ok well I'd be daft not to try the slave cylinder first and take it from there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts