GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard turbo on my skyline does it really need a water supply?

Does it really do anything apart from super heat my coolant?

If I let the engine run after driving without the water supply will this cool my turbo.?

Are the any good / bad points in doing this?

I know a bit numb but shy beirns lol:chairshot

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just have a drip from it now and again and rather than fixing i thought it would be possible to remove ow well spanners and rachets at the ready :bawling:

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It would be a bit like disconnecting your radiator!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Actually it is quite possibly to run without water. Oil feed will do enough to stop temps from getting ridiculous whilst in use, but cool down period before shutting engine off will be a long time. In the long run it will shorten the life of the turbo, but it cetainly won't shatter???!!

But you are still better off just fixing the leak.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep copper washer was the culplrate lil bugger

but back together and running again now, has only been back on the road for two days after getting a new engine and after driving a 200sx for 2 month my skyline smile is back you know the one i mean

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
Nice replys here. [email protected]

Apart from Cord is it anything but the usual internet rumour mill? Dont sound like it. And this is the problem with internet tech "advice"

Water cooling is primarily for the cool down period at shutoff as most owners of standard cars arnt the kind of people to let cars cool off a bit before turning em off.
Not needed as such for actual use, not enough water to do owt much anyhow.

Ive removed it on 3 different turbo cars in the past (well, 2 of my own choice, one the tuner did himself), and know countless others that has, no problems.

Id fix the leak in your case, but if you have a valid reason to bin the water "cooling" off, then theres no reason not to.

A lot of turbos arnt water cooled anyhow, Greddy T78/88s for example.

Heard people say that rollerbearing turbos need it, but heard of just as many people who actually USE rollerbearing turbos with no water cooling that have had no probs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts