GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I have been lucky enough to score a free test day here in NZ with the official Porsche test team and the new 2002 Porsche range. IT's 12 hours long including lunch, dinner afterwards, but it's basically 30 minutes or so in each car with these testers and also 4 local race car stars.

They've got all of the cars from 911 Carrera, 911 Turbo, GT2, GT3 and even a GT1 which is pretty rare.

The day is only for non Porsche owners looking to find out what they're like and no doubt to tempt you into a purchase. I own a Porsche Boxster already but it's for my wife so I was allowed to get in. I've never driven any other real supercar before so I'm looking forward to comparing the 2.

Sorry for the blurb, but the topic is really to see if any of you guys out there have got any real world comparisons to other supercars to the GTR.

I'm assuming the comparison should be between lightly mod'ed GTR's 400-450 HP, not really fair to compare otherwise.

I know most others are 2 seater Vs 4 and all that, just wondered if 355's, 360's, 911's, Diablo's etc etc are real world, live with all day supercars like the GTR.

Does the torque compare ????, Noise, that wonderful noise ????

That sorta thing.

Interested to hear your comments.
Fraser

·
Registered
773 Posts
Hi Fraser

Which Boxter is it?

The only "supercars" I can compare the R33 (slightly modded 350-380bhp I guess) are as follows:

Boxter 2.5 - R33 on a different planet in terms of performance. I found the Boxter woefully slow.

911 (964) - Oddly I think the R33 has a similar weighty feel to the 911 which is a brilliant car. I would say the R33 is marginally quicker, and both are great to drive

Evo 6 - Has to be driven flat out to get any enjoyment out of it. Not always feasible so not always satisfying. I would say the R33 is quicker at the top end, but the Evo gets to full boost quicker.

I think Guy's input would be good as he has had lots of nice toys!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sorry Cem, I guess we are all different.

I test drove an M3 and thought it was very poor as a sports car. Slow steering, not particlarly quick unless you wring its neck - just felt cumbersome overall. More like a goodish car with a "nice" creamy engine. I guess that underlines the importance of trying before you buy!

·
Registered
404 Posts
What's not sports car?

M3 not a sports car? Well partly true for a daily car I prefer the standard M3 to a standard R34. But an R34 with the same power as a M3 that’s different.

There is the M3 CSL sports car? :cool: Or the M3 GT super car? :smokin:

But if I were to compare the GTR to anything else it would be the Porsche 996 turbo.

Both 6cylinder 4WD turbo powered drivers cars. It’s just the Porsche owner image I can’t live with. :rolleyes:

Paul.

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
lol me too.

And I would certainly class an M3 as a sports car. The weekend I had it proved what a fun car it could be. But as you say, different folks, different strokes.

Cem

·
Registered
515 Posts
Didn't you use to own a 911?

Guy,

Didn't you used to have a tuned 911? How did your tuned 911 compare?

James

p.s. The M3 CSL is coming out soon. I think it's about 330bhp and down 200kg. Carbon fibre interior, less electrics etc. I may be wrong about power/weight but It's around that mark.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mmm Porsche

I have to admit my Porsche will always be my primary car. No other 400 odd BHP car can spend a few days at the track and then cross a Continent. The Skyline's are awesome but my 500BHP Skyline needed servicing every 2000 Miles or perhaps after a heavy track session. You also have to spend a fortune upgrading the brakes and suspension to drive really fast with that kind of HP.

The Porsche on the other hand is designed to handle it's HP, Porsche also has the BEST brakes in the business.

A standard Skyline is much more practical (passenger wise) and is certainly more exotic, but the equivilent spec Porsche is always gonna kick it's arse on the race track.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Go for it Dan

Bet you've opened a can of worms their Dan :rolleyes: . Never having owned a Porsche I'm outta her :eek: :D .

glen

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Oh dear that's a huge statement...............again though we need to remember that this is just someone else opinion. Different horse for different courses.

I'm a bit perplexed about the "best in the business" re the brakes thing...............do you mean feel or pure stopping power ?????

There was a recent test in a major NZ magazine of 0-100K's and then back from 100-0K's

Porsche 911 Turbo, Ferrari 360 Modena, R34 GTR, Maserati 3200GT (not sure on that one, but was some type of Maserati)

Porsche recorded 3.11 from 100-0
Ferrari recorded 3.19 from 100-0
R34 GTR recorded 2.79 from 100-0

Was the slowest of the 3 to 100 by .19 of a second, but as you can see was clearly faster on braking and so was the overall winner.

I do have distances in metres too, but I'd need to dig them out.

I am a big Ferrari fan and must admit that there is something special about some cars and Porsche and Ferrari both have something...............special..............very hard to describe, but when I get my next car it will be a Ferrari, but I won't be getting rid of my Skyline as they're different beasts, they don't really compare, but I thought I'd open this topic to confirm what others thought.

On the other note, you can afford to spend some dosh on a GTR to get it to perform better as the change left over from a Porsche will easily cover the cost of upgrades so that's not really a valid statement. In fact upgrades are half the fun.

Canman

·
Registered
404 Posts
living with a super cars

I’ve been fortunate enough to have had a 1986 Porsche 964 targa turbo and a 1984 Ferrari 308 GTB (at different times). I personally miss the Ferrari more than the Porsche.

The Porsche was an all round better car and I could still live with the dynamics as a daily car but it’s the Porsche driver public image got to me in the end (as it did Guy ;) ).

I only had the Porsche 6 months and it never missed a beat as they say whereas the Ferrari was always giving me problems in 5 years of ownership.

I never took the Porsche on the track and for that matter I never real pushed it other than a few tyres smoking runs to try and do 0-60mph in under 5 seconds.

The Ferrari really got me hooked on track days and as a result I spent a fortune tuning it.

I live in Porsche country and I still would rather have another Ferrari again, I’m sure I would sell the Lotus Elise (if my wife would let me) for a Ferrari but the GTR for a Ferrari? Well it would need to a really good one to persuade me.

Porsche use mostly brembo breaks as well. Just the one they use are much better suited to track use that the standard GTR ones (German over engineering).

There is a company called Mov`it in Achern, Germany, that supplies Porsche spec brembo breaks for other cars. They can do an upgrade kit for the Skyline for DM4,000 that’s disk’s, calipers, and pads.

I’ve found a Skyline tuner here in Germany that says he can do me a better deal on the same breaks. I’ll let everyone know how I get on with them.

Paul.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Eh ?

Paul,

Don't you mean a 1986 930 as the 964 didn't come out until around 1990. Please excuse me if I'm being pedantic.

Talat.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts