GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a bunch of Supertech bits for my head once the mod has been done, any issue with any of their parts? Lot cheaper than Tomei so wondering if anyone has used their products

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
What issues have you had ?

What makes the tomeis better as far as I remember they are both made pretty much the exact same?!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Valve springs sticking, springs were too strong. Went back to OEM springs problem solved.

In this instance the cams wern't too high lift and didn't require springs.

Sold Tomei never had a problem in 10 years.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I'm sure I've seen a comment in the past that Supertech actually make Tomei valves.

I've used Supertech valves and guides in my build. They look well made to me and if ordered from the US they're priced competitively. I found Tomei followers were actually cheaper than Supertech followers at the time i ordered my head bits so I'm using Tomei followers with Kelford cams and Kelford valve springs. Kelford springs were about half the price of the other aftermarket springs.

Cheers

Stu

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
That's not a fault tho. That's using the wrong spring rate for application.

Have you seen any failures or anything?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've been wondering exactly the same thing,
Wanting to upgrade my head soon too and was debating wether to use tomei gear or to give with super tech instead, will b intresting to hear if anyone has had any issues with super tech

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Supertech are one of the best in the business. If you buy the correct parts for your application then you wont go far wrong. Springs are available in different pressures.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Supertech are cheap crap I wouldn't use any thing made by them, I've seen snapped valve springs and retainers. I would imagine there valves and guides should be ok

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
So are tomei rods. Doesn't mean anything anymore.

If they pass the companies QC it shouldn't matter where they are made.

I've seem made in USA. Japan Germany etc etc etc parts fail, almost always due to either incorrect use or installation vs manufacturing.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Supertech are cheap crap I wouldn't use any thing made by them, I've seen snapped valve springs and retainers. I would imagine there valves and guides should be ok
That is some statement you made there "cheap crap".. I am waiting to hear from any of the tuners who have used their parts in their high powered engines.. I want to get it right first time and not mess about about. Tomei is my first choice but I am considering Supertech if they are as good why not?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
That is some statement you made there "cheap crap".. I am waiting to hear from any of the tuners who have used their parts in their high powered engines.. I want to get it right first time and not mess about about. Tomei is my first choice but I am considering Supertech if they are as good why not?
I would go for tomie with out a doubt, ask Ian at clockwise motion who builds 24hr race engines he has seen it time and time again with supertech. I wouldn't fancy using there parts but on most engines for road short track use they will probly be fine. I would rather stick with standard nissan parts myself proven parts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Lol used supertech in all my heads and never had a problem and there parts are not made in china.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Lol used supertech in all my heads and never had a problem and there parts are not made in china.
I'm just going by what Ian told me/showed me and made me think I wouldn't want them in my engines, he did go a bit far with it but every engine he built was proven. We all have our own opinions and what we've seen and what has worked in the past. For me I wouldn't feel comftable risking it

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Well I can only go by what I have seen and I am happy to use them, and you would use Tomei? I wonder who makes there parts lol

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do know that a lot of Japanese brands have their parts made by other eg HKS cranks being made by Farndon, JUN using Cosworth etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts