GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

My name is Alex and im based in Aberdeen, I'm currently working offshore for Halliburton and I'm considering a new car, so thought I would introduce myself and ask some basic questions. I have done some searching around and not really found any definite answers or etc.

Im currently a mkiv supra owner that is considering making the upgrade from supra to GTR, instead of spending more money on the supra. My current supra can be seen in the SRD Tuning section after I asked lee to build my hybrid TT set up. I know a couple of the other ex-supra owners turned GTR owner, so at least I know I some people :)

I will more than likely be breaking the supra for parts to get as much money as I can out of it, to put towards a GTR. Will also be going through a dealer/garage so I can PX my 7 series aswell.

The questions I've got for you are -

1. Is there a specific year to avoid getting, or are they all good aslong as they have current up to date software?

2. Whats the average price for servicing/maintenance on the car?

Im sure I will think of more answers, so will use the search bar as and when needed :)

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If it was built by SRD I'm sure its immaculate, seems a shame to break the car.

I'd personally avoid imports (2008).

Servicing and maintenance can vary widely, excluding tyres and brakes it'll be around £1000 a year, but I change all oils more regularly than most for peace of mind so could be less. Tyres £1000-1500, discs and rotors £1000-2000. Tuning £10,000-20,000.

I'd budget £20k a year.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was built by SRD I'm sure its immaculate, seems a shame to break the car.

I'd personally avoid imports (2008).

Servicing and maintenance can vary widely, excluding tyres and brakes it'll be around £1000 a year, but I change all oils more regularly than most for peace of mind so could be less. Tyres £1000-1500, discs and rotors £1000-2000. Tuning £10,000-20,000.

I'd budget £20k a year.
Sadly breaking the car would be the only way to get the majority of the money back. I've been speaking to lee and would be looking at around the 2009/2010 black editions.

After running various 20 year old Toyotas for the last 5 years, the costs of servicing/maintenance doesn't scare me or etc, I was just wanting to get a more clear figure really :)

Thanks for the answers bud

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Avoiding imports seems to be common advice. Ownership costs vary depending on how you drive and care / dote on the car. Modding and depreciation aside and basing on 6k miles a year expect between £3500 and £10k.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's him put off :D

Hey Alex,

What is your budget?
Haha thanks Jamie! :D

Ill have around £35K-£40K (inc the PX for a dealer/garage)

Avoiding imports seems to be common advice. Ownership costs vary depending on how you drive and care / dote on the car. Modding and depreciation aside and basing on 6k miles a year expect between £3500 and £10k.
Due to working offshore the car will be used at least 6 months a year roughly. In my time of ownership with my current supra (2 years in may) I will have only covered around 10-15K miles

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Hah if you're speaking to Lee already you might want to up that tuning budget! Especially looking at your Supra. If you're looking for a 2009/10 you may as well look for a car with the basic bolt on mods already done, exhaust/intakes/fueling etc...

Running a GTR is expensive, it's not a car I'd want to run on a budget. I've given up looking at the costs now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hah if you're speaking to Lee already you might want to up that tuning budget! Especially looking at your Supra. If you're looking for a 2009/10 you may as well look for a car with the basic bolt on mods already done, exhaust/intakes/fueling etc...

Running a GTR is expensive, it's not a car I'd want to run on a budget. I've given up looking at the costs now.
Haha lee can back me up when I say when it comes to my cars, I don't like to cut corners and I will spend what I need to. to get it done :D

I would be taking it easy with something like this and just enjoy a stage 1 for a while (famous last words :D)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I'd only look at UK supplied cars on a 59 or later plate. You can get one of those in your budget, then just get straight into Stage 4, downpipes and tune with EcuTek. You'll have an epic street car.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd only look at UK supplied cars on a 59 or later plate. You can get one of those in your budget, then just get straight into Stage 4, downpipes and tune with EcuTek. You'll have an epic street car.
It's between you, Jurgen, lee and JP why im here lol. I would be happy with stage 1 to start with dude

I've seen this while have a quick look and it doesn't look to bad. Does anyone recognise it or etc?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
It's between you, Jurgen, lee and JP why im here lol. I would be happy with stage 1 to start with dude

I've seen this while have a quick look and it doesn't look to bad. Does anyone recognise it or etc?
Personally, I'd rather pay an extra couple of grand and get one with a lot lower miles mate.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I agree with Jamie. I'm going for a 2010 model. They have quite a few upgrade features from the 2009. Worth paying an extra few grand and getting a newer 1 with lower miles.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Alex, we all seem to be coming over here.
Hey John, any luck selling your car yet?

And my red one ;)

If I were to do it again, I would go for a 2010 or 2011 stage 4....
Haha graham, I was never a fan of red GTR's until I seen yours!

Personally, I'd rather pay an extra couple of grand and get one with a lot lower miles mate.
That's I'm starting to think now bud, did think it was abit on the high side

I agree with Jamie. I'm going for a 2010 model. They have quite a few upgrade features from the 2009. Worth paying an extra few grand and getting a newer 1 with lower miles.
Yeah that's true!

·
Registered
183 Posts
May as well go straight for stage 4 dude - such a massive upgrade from stock for little money (little money in gtr terms)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts