GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I could do with some advice

I've just moved from 17's on standard suspension height to 18's and it looks like a 4x4. The question is;

1 Do I go down the cheaper route of replacing the springs - my local garage started whinging about camber and tyre wear etc when I phoned him for a price. Has anybody else gone down this route and what was the result tyre wear wise?

2 Do I bite the bullet and go for whole new suspension setup - and if so what is the cheapest decentish set to recomend? I'm not looking for a huge drop 25mm - 30mm at the front would be plenty.

3 Any other ideas (Money supply has flatlined so nothing fancy please)

Cheers fellas

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
S-Tune HA or Tein Street are good both ~ £1-1.5k?

Maybe you could pickup some 2nd hand stuff?

All GTR's (probally all cars?) have poor tyre ware if there too low, I don't think it's any specal about lowering springs.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S-Tune HA or Tein Street are good both ~ £1-1.5k?

Maybe you could pickup some 2nd hand stuff?

All GTR's (probally all cars?) have poor tyre ware if there too low, I don't think it's any specal about lowering springs.

Is that afigure bout par?
That answers one question then!:chuckle:

So the next question is what type of springs and what sort of price should I be expecting?

Cheers

·
Administrator
31,603 Posts
Sean, I did some research when i bought my GTR on 18's a year or two ago, as it looked like a 4x4

general consensus, if you just want a subtle drop, and not to harsh a ride, to go for either Trust Dowmax or Eibach srpings.

I actually went for the downmax, and the ride height is perfect now (see pics)

however, i also fitted R34 V-spec shocks, which i personally feel are a bit harsh, .

however, i only paid about £200 for the shocks and springs, i can't complain

Mook

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks a pretty good height to me - I rang RB and they recommended a set of tein springs with a 35F and 31R drop. How does that compare to yours?
Have you notice excessive tyre wear compared to standard?

I wouldn't mind a slightly stiffer ride over the standard 33 suspension

Thanks for the reply
Sean

·
Registered
566 Posts
Sean, I would suggest Trust Downmax springs, I had these on a previous 33 which had standard non vspec shocks like yours and the ride quality, handling and ride height was perfect.

Not that expensive either.

My 2p...

Mark.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Or for around £750 or so, you can get a set of D2 Coilover.

Fully adjustable, single rate springs, adjustable mono tube damper, and 1 year warranty.

Had to be the best money I spend on my CRX, works great, and half the price of most competitive products on the market, and completely transformed the car.

·
Administrator
31,603 Posts
Sean,

you'll need to get the alignment checked afterwards, but i've not noticed any excessive wear on mine.

i did however ruin 4 good tyres by NOT getting it checked :(

mook

·
Registered
597 Posts
or a s/h set of ohlins c-type adjustables, they are good and are rebuildable in uk.

oh, and what a surprise, i have a set for sale:chuckle:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers guys - As the consensus was trust down max I've just ordered a set

Thanks for the imput

Sean

·
Administrator
31,603 Posts
you won't be dissapointed.

coilovers obviously would be better, but for the money, i think the Dowmax are excellent

mook

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Tein have had a price reduction, I think, (from memory), you can get Tein Flex for £900 including VAT now, which are a really good choice for road use, not harsh but has separate preload adjustability, (unlike superstreets).

I'll be fitting a set of these to mine when I can afford them as teh Zeal have started leaking. :(

Alex B

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd have liked to have gone for the whole suspension but I just can't justify £1k+ when my standard shocks are still fine. - Maybe when they go then yes

Cheers

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'd have liked to have gone for the whole suspension but I just can't justify £1k+ when my standard shocks are still fine. - Maybe when they go then yes

Cheers
I was only really replying in response to Toby and Nocturnal, letting people know Tein are getting more competatively priced. :)

I ran with Tein springs for about a year, gave much better handling than standard but the ride was a bit harsher.

Alex B

1 - 14 of 14 Posts