GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys first of all new to the forum!
Names joe.

I’ve got a 2015 Gtr r35 and I just fitted a set of kw sleeves to it. However one side is lower than the other all measured exactly the same but on the passenger side the full helper spring isn’t compressed like the other.
Now I’ve fitted these on a slight slope would that be an issue.
Does the car need to be driven to calibrate suspension?
I’m unable to drive at the moment due to snapping one of the upper control arm nuts.
Any info would be much appreciated thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Did you check the spring rates before fitting? It's possible you might have incorrect springs fitted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check the spring rates before fitting? It's possible you might have incorrect springs fitted.
Yes it’s a brand new kit. And it’s only on the passenger side, driver side is fine. Both front and rear match on each side.
It’s as if the shock itself is holding the weight. Not the spring.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Get a vernier caliper in behind the wheel and measure the diameter of the spring material, I reckon you have different spring rates on each side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get a vernier caliper in behind the wheel and measure the diameter of the spring material, I reckon you have different spring rates on each side.
They have writing on that says 170-170 browsing imagine online and others have the same, I assume this would be a code.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You will have to measure the gap to the wing on opposite sides and screw the springs up by that amount.

Springs take a while to settle, but there are obvious questions over the quality of the springs if they are so different.

We use Eibach springs with the Tractive suspension we sell and do not see anything like the difference you describe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You will have to measure the gap to the wing on opposite sides and screw the springs up by that amount.

Springs take a while to settle, but there are obvious questions over the quality of the springs if they are so different.

We use Eibach springs with the Tractive suspension we sell and do not see anything like the difference you describe.
I will try.
I tried adjusting to make it lower but made no difference on the side that doesnt want to compress very strange dont understand.
I took a mesurement from floor to arch.
Front and rear Driver 685mm
Front and rear Passenger 710mm

·
Vendor
8 Posts
Just a random clue from reading the above.

When the bolts were torqued after installation, was the suspension fully loaded (wheels on and the car sitting freely on the surface under its own weight)?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a random clue from reading the above.

When the bolts were torqued after installation, was the suspension fully loaded (wheels on and the car sitting freely on the surface under its own weight)?
I tightened the top nut to the shock off of the car to start with, but I can’t be sure if I torqued it when the car was still in the air or on the ground. Do you think I should loosen the strut bolt and re torque when on the ground?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Have you measured the spring material diameter? I still think you’ve got mismatched springs fitted.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you measured the spring material diameter? I still think you’ve got mismatched springs fitted.
Yeah both sides have the same spring front and rear.
I'm going to try and loosen it all up at the weekend and re torque.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Don’t rely on what is printed on the spring, they need to checked with an accurate vernier caliper. Somebody may have mislabelled the spring rate which would explain why it’s dropping lower on one side.
Also when you retighten the suspension make sure it is done on a flat surface.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don’t rely on what is printed on the spring, they need to checked with an accurate vernier caliper. Somebody may have mislabelled the spring rate which would explain why it’s dropping lower on one side.
Also when you retighten the suspension make sure it is done on a flat surface.
All checked today an re tightene, still the same just doesnt want to drop. :confused:

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I'm no mechanic and so this is a wild guess, but is the spring the right way round? By that I mean does the orientation of the coil make a difference and its opposite way round to the others??

Probably got people laughing now, but it's a genuine question. Go easy on me....... :unsure:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the reply guys, The springs at the front can be fitted either way round.
I've driven the car today drive perfectly well no issues however still the passenger side is higher baffled. Booked into the garage see what they can see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts