GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very unpleasant problem. I live in Bulgaria and roads here are awful, to say the least. I'm looking for a way to soften the suspension of my GT-R, so I don't have to sell it. No, putting it in Comfort mode doesn't help. I looked at some internet parts dealers, but I found nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
use aftermarket coil springs. something that doesnt lower it too much. alot of people like the swift springs but they may be too low. they are more comfortable than the stockers tho (so i hear from a few people). there are more brands with less drop and have the same or simular comfort improvemnts, check them out.

if you do sell, please re-consider the spec-m to release more details in october, but its said to have better suspension for bumpier roads and custom colors and insides.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll dig further into the online part stores.

I thought the Spec-M is based on rumors only? If they indeed decide to unleash it, I'm switching immediately.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've already done 11500 km. I've driven the first 2000 km on Comfort mode, as suggested by the manual. Can't really see much difference between Comfort and Normal.

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
I could understand the problem if the car was too low for bad roads ,but just wanting to alter the suspension for a softer ride is plain daft on a car like this . I would sugest buy a tuned GTR 33 or 34 with Tein lowering springs ,drive it for a couple of weeks then go back to the R35 ,problem solved then :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
I could understand the problem if the car was too low for bad roads ,but just wanting to alter the suspension for a softer ride is plain daft on a car like this . I would sugest buy a tuned GTR 33 or 34 with Tein lowering springs ,drive it for a couple of weeks then go back to the R35 ,problem solved then :rolleyes:
I disagree. If the road surface is constantly terrible, the R35 would be a terrible car to drive!

I'm sure it can be sorted with just a change of springs, but most aftermarket springs will be stiffer than stock, not softer.

If you know a good chassis engineer, he should be able to spec the springs you need. A good progressive rate should be able to smooth out broken surfaces whilst maintaining body control.

Anything too radically different from stock may confuse the Damptronic dampers.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
the spec-m is 100% true. it will be at tokyo autoshow and nismo festival. it is rummored to have a better suspension for less road issues. it may leak a bit sooner and they may not show it at the last secound like they did last time with the spec-v.

the R35 is a GT high performance car and due to that its not made for crappy roads but it can drive on them... just wont be comfortable. if an owner wants better they will have to upgrade the springs. eibach and swift are the two most well known. they give a much more comfortable setting. even in race apparently. tho adding a drop will make more negitave camber and may increase tire wear (even if adjusted, cause it wont fully adjust to stock parimters without a camber kit of some sorts, according to one member who tested that on nagtroc).

some people have suggested after many miles of riding in R mode (with stock suspension) they felt that comfort mode was much better. i guess you really have to wear it in. i dont know the miles the customer went before he tried it.

its rather inexpensive to get new springs installed, but after install labor it may a bit more than you bargan for, unless you do the labor yourself.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Not to see the diference between comfort/normal and R is ...abnormal.

Try to go from normal to C on an evenly uneven road if you know what i mean. Like a german autobahn :) ir's night and day for my but sensor

·
Registered
98 Posts
Personally I feel the 20" run flats are much of the comfort problem, they hide nothing of the road surface. I have some shitty roads around me as well, and I seem to spent time steering my way around the man hole covers etc.
Go non run flat and get your self a can of tyre weld, thats sure to ease the ride, but take the edge off the handling a bit too.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Going to a smaller wheel with a higher profile non-runflat tyre with the same overall diameter might be an easier option. That way you also have the original harder wheel/tyres to put back on if required e.g. for a trackday or driving in Western Europe.

Comfort and 200mph are not exclusive, there's plenty of 200mph or near cars that are very comfortable, from AMG, Porsche, Alpina, Aston etc.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Guy

ouch ouch ouch !!!! (but then look at the price!!!)LOL

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's not the top speed of the car that makes it require a stiff suspension. I've travelled at over 160mph in an 6.3 AMG mercedes S600 long wheel base limo and it felt like gliding on silk, but it certainly didn't take the corners like my GTR!

If you don't want to throw it roundcorner and be totally amazed at the grip levels available (something you rarely get to do legally on the highway anyway, then softer suspension (from tyre choice or springs) certainly makes sense. The car will still feel good at high speed too. The only thing to suffer will be handling around the corners, but a GTR has that in bucketloads, so to sacrifice a small amout for more comfort isn't as daft as some of you suggest!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I dont know if they do it for the r35 but it might be an idea to try Tein in Japan. They do an awful lot of race kits (thats where they made their name) but they also do VIP kits and coil overs that are adjustable on the fly. This might help otherwise get someone play around with the spring weights.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all replies, guys.

I have thought before of changing the wheels to 19s, but I couldn't find tires with corresponding diameter. As far as I know the ATESSA requires exact size or wouldn't work correctly and I could also void the warranty.

Changing the springs seems a reasonable option, and less expensive also. Although every aftermarket spring kit I found offers stiffer solution. Could anybody point me to some site I can browse some less stiff springs?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The springs may say stiffer but read the reviews on nagtroc. I have heard many reports they are more comfortable in comfort mode. Also make sure to stay away from the coilover conversion kits. They make to much noise and are not usually tuned for each switch position. They are good for ride height adjustments and stiffer springs but ultimately annoying to tune correctly and a lot of mixed reviews.

Tein is iffy. I would never use tein for a race car of any type. They do make some decisions that are good for comfort and they are tune able. They also have electronic controls that can be adjusted in the cockpit. Tein is an iffy price/performance choice.

Kw are the better of the two tho (for full coilovers). They have made sure to use stock style rubber coated braces that limit the noise most others have. They also use more comfortable spring rates. Its not going to be great for racing but will do a really good job when compared to stock.

Spec-m is geTting closer.

As for wheels they have to be the same diameter in both front and back within 2% (for tire wear). The stock diam is 28" iirc. Its best to stay 28" but... That doesn't mean something else doesn't work as many many many people have done it without issues. Just slap some sensors on them and have a consult 3 register them for ur car and ur good to go. 18's will work too but have to get the right fitment. More tire choices tOo plus a reduction in prices and weight.

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Although there are plenty of tuned and kitted out 35's about now there does not seem to be that many with after market suspension ,maybe there is tyre wear or suspension issues long term . I think the 35 sits really nice and the suspension is a pretty good all rounder as it is .18inch wheels would look lost on this car imo.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts