GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after weeks of waiting and getting my little GTS ready for the SVA I finally had it today... thought all was good the car had passed an MOT only a couple of weeks earlier... But I failed... on 2 main areas,
1) my nice new shiny Magnex which sounds sweet... sounds a little too sweet!!!:D and at 105.5db @ 3700 rpm is blatantly over the 103db limit! he had taken a dislike to the whole of the exhaust... pointing out that it poked out too far, and that 'it would constitute a danger to other road users and pedestrians'! 2) my almost brand new Bridgestones.... lovingly 'Q' rated, high enough to pass the MOT, but 'Well, I think your car can go a little more than that!' - even me stating that 'if I went a little more than that Id be thrown into prison' didnt help!

now... can I quieten down the exhaust without fitting another silencer into system?
and
anyone got a set of 4 stud wheels and tyres i could borrow for a day or two??? :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
What a bunch of [email protected] If the limit is meant to be 70mph then tell them if they are expecting you to break the law?

I dunno, where do you live? Not sure if GTR wheels would fit but I thought I'd offer if it saves you 6-800 quid for a new set of tyres.

Come on chaps, let's help a new owner eh?

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Hey Matt

Still got youre standard zorst?? If so put it back on JUST for the SVA. There is no way that I know to quieten the Magnex....

As for your rims and tyres, is your car still limited to 112mph, I'm not sure what Q ratings speeds good for, but if over 112 then your fine, if it aint still limited tell him it is.....

Missis has some 17 inch 4 stud GTS wheels but problem is we live miles away from you.... up to you

Go somewhere else to get it SVA'd, and if you know someone with a car garage get them to take it too, it seams like they get a lot less hassle from them...

Si

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Make you own rubber bubg for the exhaust and drill a small hole in the middle (1inch) and shove that up far enuf so that he cant see it (make sure the rubber dont melt!)

Just a stupid and probably useless spur-of-the-moment-half-cut idea :D

Rob

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have the old back box still in me shed...

Id worry about a Q rated tyre myself m8, I fit at least a V but youd be better off with a W or Z.

·
Premium Member
5,939 Posts
I will very shortly have a complete R33 GTS (from the cat back) available if you need it.
only problem is we are up in nottingham.

Simon

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hi Mate,

just put the cat back on. this bought mine down from 104 Db to 96....

can't help with the wheels. I have a cat you could borrow though.
send me an email if you want to borrow it.

[email protected]

/Steve

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your right there tony, 'Q' rating scares the hell out of me! and tyres were high up the list of priorities of things to spend money on, but as with most things I had seriously under budgeted for getting the car over and getting it sorted (new exhaust system and having the car transported home were 2 large expenses i hadn't counted on!)

Its down to my local tyre emporium today to see what thay have... my main saving grace is that with 15" wheels the costs 'shouldnt' be as much as what the rest of you pay!!!

The offers of wheels from you guys have been very generous but most of the GTS posse live, well not too far away, but the whole trip would work out costing as much as one, maybe 2 new tyres... time to get the begging bowl out and visiting my parents!

Steve, the cat is still on the car!!!

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Exhaust noise

Matt,

I had a similar problem with exhaust noise on SVA when I built a Ginetta. I got round it by stuffing wire wool in the tail pipe (out of sight) just before the test. By the time you're finished it would have burnt off and no need for complicated refitting etc.

John

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking up!!!

Looks like I have a set of wheels to use, Thanks Matt_S,
and as for noise, im gonna stuff a bunch of silencer padding wrapped in a bit of wire mesh (to stop the stuff blowing straight out the exhaust!) into the system and push the stuff back out after the test!! :D gonna book the retest for tuesday hopefully! gotta have the car for JAE!!! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts