GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Could you explain the following to me please.

When importing a car, at what year of car does it become necessary to have the full on ESVA (or whatever it's called) that costs thousands of pounds?

And upto what years do you just need to get it MOT'd and that's it. Job done?

Thanks in advance

James

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Anything over 10 yars old only needs MOT

Anything less than 10 years old needs MOT & ESVA

ESVA is £180 and has to be done at the Vehicle Inspectorate, with them, expect a 3 week wait for an appointment...

I believe that the test that is thousands of pounds is only done in special circumstances... id read about those, and when i booked my appointment and the woman told me i needed the ESVA i almost shat myself! but a normal car like a skyline is the 'normal' £180 ESVA...

The test itself is fairly straight forward... but will take about an hour ( you have to be present) - The SVA only checks the technical side of the car... ie if the cars tyres are bald as buggery, but have the correct stamps on the side walls, they would pass!
whereas in an MOT they would fail...

To get an R32 through the SVA you will need...
Speedo converter £50ish from JW racing
Fuel fillerneck restrictor £30ish from Abbey MS - (you could buy mine off me... :) )
Fog light & illuminated switch £10ish Halfords

My car flew through CO2, as the only skyline on the computer at chelmsford was an R34 GTR

The noise level is...101 db @ 500mm from tip, 200mm from ground or exhaust height (whichever is higest) @ 45degrees from car @ 3/4 max engine speed - it took 2 attempts to get my car to pass the noise test... :)

matt

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So a 93,94,95

R33 GTS would just need the £180 test then?

Is there a manual to download that says what you need to pass an SVA?

James

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Here are two links to the DLVA website with info on what the SVA tests... to be honest, I went through it, and there isnt a lot that you can really do... only the normal stuff like making sure the brakes work, seatbelts recoil... ordinary MOT things...

http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/vehicle/sva/sva4/pdf/sva4booklet.pdf

http://www.roads.dft.gov.uk/vehicle/sva/sva4/index.htm

Ive only taken one car through an SVA so far, and it wasnt as bad an experience as I had thought it would be!

And yes, your car will just need the £180 test

·
Registered
36 Posts
My car took 2 attempts to pass, first time failed on having no load index rating on the Japanese Bridgestone tyres, and the radius on the edges of the spokes on the steering wheel (aftermarket wheel) were less than 2mm, so that failed. I have also heard of car failing because the heater controls stick out too far - yes, honestly! The owner got the car through by pulling the knobs off...

ESVA is just a set of rules that you have to comply with, and there is no room for interpretation on them, you comply or you fail. It's not too difficult really, just be prepared.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yep the heater controls on the Impreza stick out too far - i forget which model now.....

Also the centre vents on the MX5 have edges which are too sharp, so the 'pass' is to cover them with sticky tape !! Who dreams up these tests !

There are places which will SVA prep your car and guarantee a pass for about £600.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
what if the car is modded???

I have been told by several people that you have trouble sva'ing a modified car, and you almost have to revert it back to standard to pass???

If you get a hard tuned car which saves you alot of money for new turbos etc, it seems a real pain in the ar$e to have to take it all off and find/buy standard to get it through the sva.

Any comments?????

Thanks.........James.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I heard this before, I think it depends on the mods, the SVA tester will fail anything that he thinks might be a possible 'safety' issue. My car had to have the turbo timer removed and any other bolt on goodies that there was any possibility that clothing could catch on. They're also very strict on wiring, which all has to be in proper sheaths and clipped up properly. Exhausts have to pass a noise test, but that aside, I don't think mods are a major issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts