GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's I'm sorry to have to say this but I've put the new Sktline on hold for now and importing and MR-2 instead (should tide me over untill I have the cash for an r34 GTRVS ;] ).
One quick question for all you import juskies out there though.
As an individual (not garage) am I able to do the work and submit the car for an SVA or do I have to have a pro do it?
Anyone know where to get more infor on this.

Thanks in advance, and like I said I WILL have my skyline, just nor for a little while longer ;]

Phil

·
Registered
62 Posts
I imported my car myself, and put it through the SVA test. I got a company in Dartford to do the conversion, but since then I found out Abbey Motor Sport will do it and they know what they are doing.

There are so many things you won't know about that only someone like Abbey will. These are some of the things that needed changing:

Fuel cap to a double flap, really hard to use variety!
Kms to miles.
Fit fog light (looks naff).
Remove turbo timer (illegal in uk).
Pin down all internal wiring at 12 inch intervals.
Stainless steel exhaust had to be covered as it stuck out too far and the ends were not rolled metal.

It was tested at the SVA in North London by Mr Jobsworth. It failed the first time on:

1. Indicators STARTED too low to the ground. I had to black out the bottom half of the front indicators with black paint (as advised by the tester).

2. A wire wasn't pinned down at 12 inch intervals

3. My radio was - wait for it - TOO SHARP! Make sure you don't have the face plate on...

After I passed, the guy that did the conversion put it all back to normal (removed fog light, black paint, turbo timer).

Good luck!

S

·
0 Posts
Turbo Timers??

Turboid Timers illegal in the UK ??

Blimey Charlie what ever next, will I have to inform my insurance company if I plan to travel anywhere with a downhill stretch of road on account of the fact it would technically be a performance modification.

Bunch of t*sspots:(

Glen
(300zx for sale its been deposited , one step closer to a GTR ;) )

·
Registered
335 Posts
Lights

Sva regulations state that lights MUST be at a certain height from the floor & their positioning is also crucial.
Rear lights must be able to be seen from certain angles & fog lights must be 'X' amount of distance from brake lights etc etc.
Not as easy as one thinks thats why you have professionals:D
Speedo's as well, if you know what you are doing then no problem, how many people on here have had speedo malfunctions??? Loads I bet, this is due to either idiots fitting them or cheap & nasty converters.

You pays your money to takes your chances.

Use a pro, less headaches in the long run!

·
Registered
101 Posts
When we imported our Evo it had a turbo timer but passed no problem. Our rear foglight was too close to the ground but the guy let us pass anyway.

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
The 3 groups of Indicators are referred to as G1 (Front) G2 (Rear) and G5 (Side)

The Fr. and Rr. lamps must be positioned Vertically between 350 and 1500mm from the ground, the entire lamp colour shell (the yellow bit) must be WHOLLY within that space. There must be some form of yellow light within 400mm of the outer edge of the BUMPER and they must not be closer than 300mm of the centreline of the car, 600mm apart.

If you are still foxed by my description I'll draw it and paste it on here.

Side indicators, those 5w things on the wings are only LEGALLY required on vehicles over 6m in length. If fitted then the rules for location are min 500mm above the ground and max of 1500mm this again is the ENTIRE yellow bit, additionally they must not be mounted further back from the front tip of the bumper any distance greater than 1800mm.

rear fogs can be as low as 250mm above the ground and again this is the whole lamp. the upper limit is 1000mm, they must be at least 100mm from any other RED lamp. the max illuminated area used for fog lamps must not exceed 140 square centimetres.

You must have a yellow internal warning lamp which illuminates when the fog lamps are in use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts