GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evenin' all,

I've been looking into buying a switchable exhaust and wondered if anyone has one? So far I've found one from Agency Power but that's about it.

I know that Aston Martins use a simple butterfly valve (with holes in it so it doesn't completely block the exhaust!) that's activated by a solenoid. I'm thinking this would build up waaay too much back pressure on a turbo engine, so it would need to be some sort of bypass valve, one way goes straight through, the other routes through a silencer. Not too sure if you'd need to change the mapping as you switched between the two though?

Any thoughts, advice, experience on this one?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
It was something like 93db closed and 97db open at 4000rpm when we tested it, That's a modded SVM 102mm exhaust.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Over here in the US I have a Raceland electronic cutout on my truck, it is installed just after the Y-Pipe and is operated via a wireless remote I have in the cab, driving with it closed is as you would expect, nice and quiet (or, at least as quiet as you can get with a 5.7 V8 with only an 18" glasspack muffler :) ), press the switch to open the cutout and the whole world knows I am coming :):

Exhaust Cutout | Exhaust Cutouts

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Call walkinshaw performance or monkfish performance. They helped develop switchable exhaust for the vxr8
I had this on my Bathurst s but to be honest I left it on loud all the time. Problem is if you don't use it the actuators seize
Speak to these gus really helpful and I'm sure they would come up with something or the gtr

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it looks like the only products available off the shelf are from the US but there are a number of options for getting something made in the UK as a one off or semi-one off (if that makes any sense?!). SRD one looks interesting, would you mind sharing the cost Jamie?

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I had it done with some other stuff so not sure on the exact cost, £600 springs to mind though, best to just give Lee a ring 07962 171364

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Miltek are working on one :)

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Miltek are working on one :)
Milltek lost one of their chief engineers a while back which is causing them a number of delays with development. One such delay is a 102mm gtr exhaust which has been promised for months now so I would take whatever they say with a pinch of salt at the mo.

Intending to make something and actually doing it are 2 different things!

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I would go with the SRD option tbh, reasonably local should you have any warranty issues ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts