GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
The world gets more silly by the minute.
He done wrong...good for them punishing him, but seriously..how can any court justify that amount.

·
Registered
15 Posts
dont get me wrong, i hate fines, but 85 through a village is excessive, 85 down a dual carriagway would have been unfair, but in a village with old people, kids, etc crossing the road, someone coming through at more than motorway speed, thats bad.

If they had given the millinare a £50 fine he would have just done the same thing the next day.

·
GTROC NOBODY
5,981 Posts
I agree entirely, but my point was more that 180,000 is just a stupid amount.
There is no price to cover the loss of someones life but 10,000, or even 50,000, but 180,000 just seems ridiculous to me. Perhaps they had a few bills to cover.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Playing devils advocate for a moment - The system over there is based on your income/wealth so they calculated it from that, not picked it out of thin air. The story also says he's a repeat offender - as a local he knew the risk and the potential penalties but did it and got caught - must be kicking himself!

·
Registered
938 Posts
interesting point actually ....a lot of performance car drivers tend to obey the 30 limit and go considerably slower than the speed limit for potential hazards such as approaching a zebra crossing where the view on one side is obscured or passing parked cars near a school where kids might be stepping out suddenly but many people who would cheer at someone getting punished for doing 100 on an empty motorway with good weather and good visibility have only one speed...around 40-45 so they hold you up on the open road and then speed off into the distance when they enter a village!.....rant over :chuckle:

·
Registered
68 Posts
dont get me wrong, i hate fines, but 85 through a village is excessive, 85 down a dual carriagway would have been unfair, but in a village with old people, kids, etc crossing the road, someone coming through at more than motorway speed, thats bad.
The Beeb hasn't got it quite right (surprised?).

It's true that it was a Ferrari – an old Testarossa, as they wrote,

not a new 599 like they depicted.

Secondly, the fine (as with all serious motoring transgressions) is based on his income, not his wealth.

It is calculated thus: a "daily income" is calculated from your annual income.

In 2007, the local court caught him in an 80 km/h limit area (this was a "temporary, purely to save the trees and not at all related to road safety" reduction from the previous 100 km/h limit introduced in the 80s) – in other words, it was on an open road and not a village as the BBC reported.

He has though also been caught doing "just over" 100 km/h in a built-up area though (the previous 60 km/h limit was reduced in the same "trees hysteria" episode to 50 km/h).

He claimed immunity as a diplomat of the republic of Guinea-Bissau. As he could not show any Swiss government confirmation papers of this status, this claim was dismissed.

The local court then sentenced him to a 30 days' income fine. In his case, each "day" of punishment equated to a CHF 3,000.00 fine, hence a fine of CHF 90,000.00 = £54,600 was imposed.

He contested the fine and took it to the county court.

The state prosecutor then demanded an increase to a 50 days' income fine. But the county court must have really not have liked this guy (I'm wondering what skin colour he has based on his diplomatic immunity claim... ) as they have now decided that he should be fined 130 days' income – but based on a revised annual income of CHF 850,000.00 p.a. = £516k, so that the daily rate was a "mere" CHF 2,300.00 instead of the previous CHF 3,000.00.

Furthermore, they ruled that half of this was to be paid immediately and the rest was part of a suspended (for 2 years probation) sentence.

So he actually has to pay CHF 149,500.00

unless he takes it to the high court – he's got until the end of January to exercise that option. But you have to pay CHF 30,000.00 up front for that, I believe.

I somehow suspect that might be throwing good money after bad...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts