21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Are you on efr’s Hugh?
Yup,

That is correct Richard.

My build started with 7163 EFR's.

Having considered the way the car drove and looking at the alternatives in the market place, I felt that there was scope to modify the turbos with a larger compressor wheel and different compressor covers.

I created a 1200 BHP build thread that shows how the car was built and how the turbos were modified.

Most recent efforts have been to fix the problems I experienced with the fuel system.

Following a number of fuel cuts due to the fuel pumps pulling air on track and at TOTB, I decided to develop in in-tank fuel Surge Tank system, that contains brushless fuel pumps.

The Surge Tank system provides the minimum fuel flow above the engines fuel demands, to minimise fuel heating.

The first system that I have running in my car is capable of delivering more than 2000BHP fuel flow, but more cost effective Surge Tank solutions will be offered in different BHP capabilities.

The system is self learning to the engines fuel demands, so will be unrivalled in terms of the advantages delivered to R35 GTR.

Here is a log from the first run with the self learning system active.

The run starts on the left and finishes on the right, it is clear to see that the excess fuel pressure events even themselves out in the first few minutes of the run.

I will release more details once the system is ready to release on to the market.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes will do when fully complete. What I can say is this, my car is going to have some decals around the black panther (just rear boot stuff nothing big) but its going to have some of the lungs of the 'HULK' hehehaha. Dimitri will be finishing up the map on Ecutek. If that cant get what I want then im looking at Syvvecs. As I also have dual fuel 12 injector setup. Will throw some more pictures up soon. Never done a track in GTR (have in subaru and Evo) so looking forward to that.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yup,

That is correct Richard.

My build started with 7163 EFR's.

Having considered the way the car drove and looking at the alternatives in the market place, I felt that there was scope to modify the turbos with a larger compressor wheel and different compressor covers.

I created a 1200 BHP build thread that shows how the car was built and how the turbos were modified.

Most recent efforts have been to fix the problems I experienced with the fuel system.

Following a number of fuel cuts due to the fuel pumps pulling air on track and at TOTB, I decided to develop in in-tank fuel Surge Tank system, that contains brushless fuel pumps.

The Surge Tank system provides the minimum fuel flow above the engines fuel demands, to minimise fuel heating.

The first system that I have running in my car is capable of delivering more than 2000BHP fuel flow, but more cost effective Surge Tank solutions will be offered in different BHP capabilities.

The system is self learning to the engines fuel demands, so will be unrivalled in terms of the advantages delivered to R35 GTR.

Here is a log from the first run with the self learning system active.

The run starts on the left and finishes on the right, it is clear to see that the excess fuel pressure events even themselves out in the first few minutes of the run.

I will release more details once the system is ready to release on to the market.
View attachment 267374
Very interesting I did look at that thread as thought your DSC setup was also excellent. I have gone full out for battleship fuel system (overspecc'd to be sure) so interested to hear more about that as will be going on track at some point. Any compares with a battleship system would be good for me. Just in case I do get issues (hope not).

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Very interesting I did look at that thread as thought your DSC setup was also excellent. I have gone full out for battleship fuel system (overspecc'd to be sure) so interested to hear more about that as will be going on track at some point. Any compares with a battleship system would be good for me. Just in case I do get issues (hope not).
Look forward to hearing how your build progresses.

Battleship is a great fuel system, but does not allow you to manage the fuel temperature very easily and also has no particular ability to stop the fuel pumps drawing air as the fuel sloshes around in the fuel tank.

I am using a different flavour of brushless fuel pump, but may offer alternatives later.

The system I am working on is a true Surge Tank, so keeps the fuel level around the fuel pumps with minimal fuel in the fuel tank.

The positives are that you save weight and save the embarrassment of your car going into limp mode on track or the drag strip.

Also the control system manages the fuel pumps to provide the minimum flow at all times to keep the fuel from being overheated.

Teaser pic attached of the Surge Tank, main and lift pumps being trialled just now.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Keep up the good work. My understanding was you could locate the battleship away from the trans area, etc to help regulate the temperature. Would be good to see some adapters to existing systems.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
It's not really the location of the fuel pumps in the tank Reano, since the fuel temperature in the tank will be even in all locations.

The fuel is heated up in in 3 ways:-

1 - Externally through the wall of the fuel tank by the gearbox and exhaust.
2 - Internally by heat from the fuel pump(s).
3 - Hot fuel returning from the engine.

For 1 - You can heat wrap your exhaust and also the outside of the Fuel Tank

For 2 - Brushless fuel pumps are great, but if they are pumping harder than is necessary, then they will heat up the fuel. Having a fuel control system that manages the flow of excess fuel will keep fuel temps down.

For 3 - Having a fuel control system that minimises the flow of fuel past the engine will reduce the transfer of heat from the engine back to the Fuel Tank.

In high G-Force situations, in addition to keeping fuel around the fuel pump so that it does not pump air, the system I am developing will sort the issues at 2 and 3 above.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well I don’t know enough to comment, hope it goes well.

so main benefit is 1. Eliminating limp mode due to fuel starvation? What else (not a mock but genuine question). Is this mainly for track, strip use?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Well I don’t know enough to comment, hope it goes well.

so main benefit is 1. Eliminating limp mode due to fuel starvation? What else (not a mock but genuine question). Is this mainly for track, strip use?
Yup,

This is mainly for track or drag use, but I know of Syvecs equipped cars that have gone into limp mode when driving hard on the road.

Trouble is that Many EcuTek cars do not have a fuel pressure sensor, so cannot tell when the fuel pump is sucking air.

It's only when the lambdas are going lean that the ECU can see there is a problem.

Overheating the fuel will lose you power, so this is not good either.

With cars fitted with a fuel pressure sensor, the ECU will put the car into limp mode when the fuel pressure drops, so since most cars do not have a fuel pressure sensor, many will have had the problem and not known it.

When the fuel pump draw air, the engine runs lean and risks melting pistons, so just because you are not aware of the problem does not mean that you are safe.

There are a number of additional parts to the system that relate to anti-theft that I will explain later, but for now

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Richard,

There is a fuel temperature sensor fitted in the fuel tank as standard.

Here is a picture of the fuel level sender on the drivers side of the car, there is a second fuel level sensor on the passenger side that does not have a fuel temperature sensor.

Top right of the picture, there is a bullet shaped thing that reads the fuel temperature.

Here is where my fuel pressure sensor is fitted between the fuel rails at the front of the engine.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts