GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

i have searched on this forum & cant find my answer...
i am building an rb26/30dett for my r32gtr & my original thoughts were to go with low mount Garrett -10's (in fact i have purchased my -10's BUT i can always sell them if need be).
im aiming for 400+awkw but i want it to be streetable with nice midrange & torque (minimal lag).

i get different answers from different people on the skylines australia website :blahblah: hence why i am asking on this forum, i am very indecisive :eek:

i really just want the best results possible as i am looking for past experience from both setups.

the major deciding factors are:
1. which will give me more peak power?
2. which will give me more midrange/driveability?

thanks in advance :smokin:

·
Registered
820 Posts
T04z mate. Search sparks rb30 build and pupsi's build on here. They are both street cars with huge lowend and midrange power. Both around 750 - 800hp. Sparks is 498kw at all 4.

·
Registered
84 Posts
not many on here know much about what rb30's are like.
the best on to talk to would be rips, he tends to use the to4z a lot for their customers cars

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
He is from Aussie mate. He wont be new to the rb30.
Clearly not familiar with what turbo upgrades to use on one though, somehow! And people on here aren't too familiar with that combination still.

But yeah, Been in a RIPS RB30/T04Z/GTR running a twinscroll hot side and it was fricken unreal. If you are used to ~400wkw RB26s you really wouldn't even believe how good the power delivery is if I told you what it was like, it is one of those things you have to experience yourself. Its definitely a killer combination!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And people on here aren't too familiar with that combination still.
what combination are u refering to, the -10's or rb30's in general?

re. rob @ rips - very knowledgeable & knows his rb30's - god of these monsters!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
what combination are u refering to, the -10's or rb30's in general?

re. rob @ rips - very knowledgeable & knows his rb30's - god of these monsters!!!
meaning rb30's in general

yes rob is god :bowdown1:and the best to ask

the rb30 doesn't have the same lag problems that the 25/26's have when runnig bigger turbo's

·
Registered
798 Posts
to4z full stop...!spool spool boost boost torque power...and the single turbo roar...!!-10s and u will have shuffle shuffle shuffle...id reakon you will have similar power figuers from both set ups but the to4z will be alot more enjoyable..in fact there was a guy on here that had -10s but changed to -5s due to being so unhappy with the shuffle and driveability problems with the -10s..anything bigger than twin -5s/2530s/t517s id go single..ESPECIALLY with an rb30!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
in fact there was a guy on here that had -10s but changed to -5s due to being so unhappy with the shuffle and driveability problems with the -10s..anything bigger than twin -5s/2530s/t517s id go single..ESPECIALLY with an rb30!!
Interesting...

The shuffle is an easy fix IMO, my GTR was doing it, and now its almost gone (although ive got something up my sleeve to get rid of it 100%).

This is on an RB30 GTR with HKS GTRS's - plus all the usual other parts.

Ill go down the single path sooner or later, but for the use of my particular GTR the twins are ideal. I guess its all about the intended use of the car at the end of the day :)

As a side note, the quickest GTR at Superlap (Sydney) on the weekend was an RB30 GTR with dash 5's. Its pretty much doing V8 supercar times.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
in fact there was a guy on here that had -10s but changed to -5s due to being so unhappy with the shuffle and driveability problems with the -10s..anything bigger than twin -5s/2530s/t517s id go single..ESPECIALLY with an rb30!!
Who was it on here that had -10's on a RB30 ?

Shuffles curable with mapping and the right installation parts and you can do it on cast manifolds which will never crack.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
T04z is where I see myself in the future. Nothing outrageous, but a solid 700+ crank hp would be good - enough to match up against any hypercar.

I'm stuck with twins at the moment because my original design spec was to retain Group A homologation parts (FMIC and exhaust manifolds). But now I know a reasonable-sized single is the way to go - and very easy to upgrade to 800-900bhp if desired.

It's getting the single topmount twinscroll manifold, external wastegate, new downpipe, and intake pipes - I'm just too lazy to switch everything around to a single setup, unless a kit falls into my lap at some point.

I've never experienced -10 shuffle, but -5s will shuffle too unless you map it out correctly. Subtle ignition and fueling tweaks in the "shuffle zone" of the map, and I got rid of it. Note - these tweaks must be redone seasonally. I had shuffle dialed out for the winter, but now that spring is coming in it came back. Tweaked it and it's gone.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Who was it on here that had -10's on a RB30 ?

Shuffles curable with mapping and the right installation parts and you can do it on cast manifolds which will never crack.
never said he had them on an rb30!..was readn the post last weekend he was jst talkn about -10s in general.. swedish dude if i can remember correctly..!gna try and find it again!

N1GTR,
ya im the same cant wait for a big single..mayby on my next gtr!i have -5s at the mo.When you say you have something up your sleeve for eliminating shuffle..would you like to enlighten me?!!i hate shuffle..fitting a new forged engine at the mo..gna be mapping in the next week or 2 im hoping it will solve the shuffle issues i had with my old engine.

kismetcaptain..luckily in Ireland the weather is equally shit in summer and winter so hopefully i wont have to tweak the map seasonally..!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
never said he had them on an rb30!..was readn the post last weekend he was jst talkn about -10s in general.. swedish dude if i can remember correctly..!gna try and find it again!
Yes, that was on a 26, the 30 is a completely different kettle of fish. I've spoken to two people that have used HKS GT-RS's (basically the same as -10's) on RB30's (not N1 GTR) and they both said they found less shuffle on the 30 than the 26 and they mapped it out easily. Shuffle isn't an issue.

The twin vs single argument will rage all day...:blahblah: as it has done in the past....many many times.....Zzzzzzzz

·
Registered
788 Posts
My car never used to shuffle , (trust t517z) Tweenie map ,
Now after a rebuild and using the same turbos ,although new ,
They shuffle , Quite bad at times and im running HKS balanced manifolds !!! Different tuner mapped my car after the rebuild .
So yes id say alot of the shuffling issues are down to the map. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
get Rob to sort it out. Won't take long; the tweaks to reduce shuffle are quite minor and require adjustment to just a few cells on the map.

·
Registered
72 Posts

N1GTR,
ya im the same cant wait for a big single..mayby on my next gtr!i have -5s at the mo.When you say you have something up your sleeve for eliminating shuffle..would you like to enlighten me?!!i hate shuffle..fitting a new forged engine at the mo..gna be mapping in the next week or 2 im hoping it will solve the shuffle issues i had with my old engine.

kismetcaptain..luckily in Ireland the weather is equally shit in summer and winter so hopefully i wont have to tweak the map seasonally..!
Would love to share, but its my tuner - i dont like the chances of sending him to UK.

Ive done this on stock manifolds that have been slightly cleaned up.

Do have a set of HKS balance pipe manifolds here aswel but no need for them yet :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i actually like the sound of shuffle - like something out of star wars (as long as it doesnt effect performance it wouldnt bother me in the slightest). in my other rb26 with gtrs's people used to look at me if i was driving up hill under load thinking WTF IS THAT :)

i spoke to a turbo guru from queensland (mike vine turbo's) & he tells me that the -10's would be better for an rb30 in terms of midrange & performance as the -10s are rated at 880hp combined...then u have the argument of "do the 2 turbos combined make 440hp x 2?" his answer was "yes" as each turbo is capable of pushing up to 440hp in 3 cylinders each.

he then stated that the t04z is old technology where hks revised it with new bearings & other small internal changes then marketed this is the 'T04Z'! the likes of rips have had huge success with t04z so does it really matter if it isn't the latest design? my gtr is 20yrs old i luv it!!!

he then added that the -10's are way ahead in terms of design & if i was to consider a single to go with the gt3540 (much newer design) as it doesnt use the t4 flange which limits u to only the t04z.

anyway - its all personal preference & the last thing i need is to choose between 3 choices

·
Registered
820 Posts
i spoke to a turbo guru from queensland (mike vine turbo's) & he tells me that the -10's would be better for an rb30 in terms of midrange & performance as the -10s are rated at 880hp combined...then u have the argument of "do the 2 turbos combined make 440hp x 2?" his answer was "yes" as each turbo is capable of pushing up to 440hp in 3 cylinders each.

he then stated that the t04z is old technology where hks revised it with new bearings & other small internal changes then marketed this is the 'T04Z'! the likes of rips have had huge success with t04z so does it really matter if it isn't the latest design? my gtr is 20yrs old i luv it!!!

he then added that the -10's are way ahead in terms of design & if i was to consider a single to go with the gt3540 (much newer design) as it doesnt use the t4 flange which limits u to only the t04z.

anyway - its all personal preference & the last thing i need is to choose between 3 choices
In regard to the t04z been old tech, that doesnt have much bearing on whether or not he should use it. Dont fix whats not broken.

Singles are easy. Easier to mount and easier to tune and easier to upgrade later. As far as power rating go the most I have seen from an t04z on an rb30 was just under 600kw atw. That was on a 2wd car.

Like you say, its just personal preference. They would both be good.
Im going t04z on mine tho.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts