GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi chaps

i'd love to know the difference in character/delivery between these two.
is the to4z 'bigger'?

i've noticed that lots of people are starting to use the gt4088. is there a reason for this?

many thanks

gav

·
Registered
794 Posts
apparently the gt40 series run the updated design wheel trims while the to4z run really old tech...

on the other hand the to4z has been proven umpteenth times in various cars, and is cheaper

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I'd say the T04Z may have a slight peak flow advantage over a GT4088R, but if so - in most cases it wouldn't be exploited. I'd be inclined to say that the GT4088R appears (at least on paper and from what I've read of others experiences) to be more fun to drive, better spooling and smoother transition while spooling.... can't say for sure though :(

I definitely like the idea of a GT4088R, and its what I'd use if I were going for that >600hp power area.

For what its worth, I got my idea of "fun factor" between the two turbos on the Supra forums - as there are oodles of guys there who have run both GT4088Rs and T04Zs on 3litre straight 6s.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Just to muddy the topic abit, I'd be interested in how garrett's new GTX series in a similar size would go on a 3L.
Anyone seen any in use yet?

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Don't the new Garretts just give you 10% more flow and 10% higher pressure ratio from the same size?

I think the GT42 is the smallest that's available in GTX form.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I wouldn't consider a 4088. Don't get me wrong, it's a great turbo. I ran one one my 2.7 but then upgraded to the 4094. Virtually same spool, same displacement, but much better efficiency above 1.8 bar. Capable of 100 more horses than the 4088.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Have you tried the T04Z and GT4088R? What is the difference that makes you prefer the T04Z?

Sorry for the 20 questions, I know of very few who have tried it on an RB so its good to get some experienced opinion :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts