GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know very little about this turbo and would like some advice from the more enlightened users. I think I've seen these as Garrett and HKS variants (May be wrong) - is one of these better than the other? Also how much do these normally sell for in the UK? I've had a look at Nengun and the like but I'm more interested in a UK price. I've heard that they can flow up to 800bhp- once again, is this accurate? Lastly, the price I've seen is for the turbo only. As I have a twin set up at the moment, what else do I need to consider for the swap? (Manifolds, wastegates?) Sorry if this is all a bit kindergarten for some, but I did search and couldn't find a concise answer.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I am pretty sure the T51R Kai is a HKS Turbo Model.

Yes, it should flow a good 700-800bhp depending on the spec of the engine.

If you have a GTR, HKS do make a complete kit for it with wastegate, manifold, and all the bit and boops...

The one thing I haven't figure out is why the T51R Kai is actually cheaper than a TO4Z which is smaller... :confused:

I would guess the TO4Z is newer design, but not sure at all.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're right about the age of the models. See this is the confusing thing. My contact is sure this is a Garrett model and yet it's called a T51R Kai and to my eye's looks identical to the HKS version. Neither of us are experts on turbos...........this isn't one of those things were, however unlikely it sounds, Garrett manufacture for someone else?? I don't want to buy something over from the far east and find out that I've overlooked something beforehand.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
HKS is made by Garrett and has a Garrett ID plate on it.

There are Garret versions around but these do not have the HKS compressor housing.

You will need the manifold (HKS or similar copy), a big wastegate and any other associated pipework.

T51R Kai is cheaper than T04Z as it doesn't have the ball bearing cartridge.
Unless you buy the BB version.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,872 Posts
My kit cost £3k over here. Thats everything you need.

It's fairly easy to fit.

The wastegate is the hardest bit to fit.

The T51r is make for HKS by garrett.

The Kai is rated @ 800+

Any more question?

:)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
No, the SPL has a 104mm comp wheel and the Kai a 94mm comp wheel IIRC.

The non BB T51's are oil only, the BB cored T51's are water/oil.

Have used a BB SPL and a non BB Kai with about 200hp between them.

Rob

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Judging by the prices I've seen on Nengun, Greenline...........Big, big difference even allowing for the other bits. Further investigation required me thinks:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
The T51 is a HKS version of the garrett GT42. Forcedinductions.com modifies them to 76 and 80mm inducers which support another 100-200hp over their normal rating. The T51 is a 94mm and 102 mm on the exducer, which means 70mm and 74mm on the inducer.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not for me Robin! A friend of mine asked me to price something up for him and a guy we buy games from in Hong Kong said he could help. I didn't realise he could help this much. The only criteria is he would need to buy in 5 at a time. All of them on one RB26 may be a little excessive:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts