GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a company that will lighten the wheels in my t88 by 10% and 15%. Does anyone know how this will, if at all, improve the response of the turbo ?? Would it require a remap too ??....Thanks...Kev.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Really??, who does that?? Sounds good..

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a company called ForcedInductions.com in the US. This is what I was told:
"We can do modifications to the wheels and bearings to make the turbo spool a little sooner, but its marginal. We can lighten the wheel by 10% and turbine wheel by 15% as well."

The price seems good at around $600. It includes labour and parts. I don't want to go thru the cost of a remap and new turbo. My goal is to have the turbo start spooling 500rpm sooner....

·
Registered
190 Posts
This all assumes theat the Garrett engineers that designed the compressor wheel in the first place seriously screwed up the original design.

It suggests they placed additional material into the wheel that adds significant weight without adding any strength. It may not matter if you are only running low boost, at low compressor Rpm. But if you are seriously pushing that compressor to a high pressure ratio, I would be a little bit careful.

Most of the rotating inertia is in the turbine anyway.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Fair comment Sean,

But even Mitsubishi are not immune from the laws of physics.

Lightening any very high speed machinery needs to be done with extreme caution.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My car puts out approx. 800hp at 1.8 bar with this t88 set-up. I am also a little concerned that putting the wheels on a diet will weaken them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts